Opportunities and Challenges of Augmented Reality Shopping in Emerging Markets
Augmented reality (AR) is one of the newly emerging technologies that has ability to completely revolutionise the world as we see it and the manner in which the products are sold and purchased. It has a wide range of applications from entertainment and education through to the healthcare sector, architecture and more. The technology began to be used in applications in the 1990s but was first developed in the 1960s. Over the years, especially with the penetration of smartphone devices, AR has seen far higher use in applications. The major advantage of AR is in the field of the shopping experience of online product buyers. In this study, an overview of the field of AR is presented, comprising definitions of AR, a historical overview of AR and the presence of AR in emerging markets and shopping and marketing in emerging markets with the help of AR tools and the applications. This study also discusses the opportunities and the challenges faced by augmented reality in these emerging markets.
KeywordsAugmented reality Virtual reality Emerging markets Shopping
- Alimamy, S., Deans, K. R., & Gnoth, J. (2017). Augmented reality: Uses and future considerations in marketing. In Leadership, innovation and entrepreneurship as driving forces of the global economy (pp. 705–712). Springer International Publishing, Cham, Switzerland.Google Scholar
- Arth, C., & Schmalstieg, D. (2011). Challenges of large-scale augmented reality on smartphones (pp. 1–4). Graz, Austria: Graz University of Technology.Google Scholar
- Dwivedi, Y. K., Rana, N. P., Jeyaraj, A., Clement, M., & Williams, M. D. (2017). Re-examining the unified theory of acceptance and use of technology (UTAUT): Towards a revised theoretical model. Information Systems Frontiers. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10796-017-9774-y
- Guven, S., Oda, O., Podlaseck, M., Stavropoulos, H., Kolluri, S., & Pingali, G. (2009). Social mobile augmented reality for retail. pervasive Computing and Communications, 2009. PerCom 2009. IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications, (pp. 1–3). IEEE. doi: 10.1109/PERCOM.2009.4912803.
- Klopfer, E., & Sheldon, J. (2010). Augmenting your own reality: Student authoring of science-based augmented reality games. New Directions for Student Leadership, 128, 85–94.Google Scholar
- Koytcheva, M. (2017). Augmented and virtual reality devices to become a $4 billion-plus business in three years. [online]. http://www.ccsinsight.com/press/company-news/2251-augmented-and-virtual-reality-devices-to-become-a-4-billion-plus-business-in-three-years. Accessed 15 June 2017.
- Kruijff, E., Swan, J., & Feiner, S. (2010). Perceptual issues in augmented reality revisited. mixed and augmented reality (ISMAR). In 2010 9th IEEE international symposium (pp. 3–12), IEEE, Seoul, Korea.Google Scholar
- Kurkovsky, S., Koshy, R., Novak, V., Szul, P. (2012). Current issues in handheld augmented reality. In Communications and information technology (ICCIT), 2012 international conference on (pp. 68–72).Google Scholar
- Lau, K. W., Lee, P. Y., & Lau, H. F. (2014). Shopping experience 2.0: An exploration of how consumers are shopping in an immersive virtual reality. Advances in Economics and Business, 2(2), 92–99.Google Scholar
- Pereira, F., Silva, C., & Alves, M. (2011). Virtual fitting room augmented reality techniques for E-commerce. In International conference on ENTERprise information systems (pp. 62–71).Google Scholar
- Raska, K., & Richter, T. (2017). Influence of augmented reality on purchase intention: The IKEA case (Master Thesis). Jonkoping University.Google Scholar
- Sapientnitro: Virtual reality: Taking an emerging technology mainstream. (2016). [online]. https://www.brandingmag.com/2016/11/16/virtual-reality-taking-an-emerging-technology-mainstream/
- Violino, B. (2016). Virtual reality, augmented reality markets poised for growth spurt | ZDNet. [online]. http://www.zdnet.com/article/virtual-and-augmented-reality-systems-poised-for-growth-spurt/. Accessed 15 June 2017.
- Virtual reality technology in China: Opportunities and challenges in an emerging market. (2016). eMarketer. [online]. https://www.emarketer.com/Report/Virtual-Reality-Technology-China-Opportunities-Challenges-Emerging-Market/2001843. Accessed 15 June 2017.
- Wilson, S. (2017). Augmented and virtual reality devices to become a $4 billion-plus business in three years. CCS Insight. [online]. http://www.ccsinsight.com/press/company-news/2251-augmented-and-virtual-reality-devices-to-become-a-4-billion-plus-business-in-three-years. Accessed 17 June 2017.
- Zhang, X., Navab, N., & Liou, S. P. (2000). E-commerce direct marketing using augmented reality. In Multimedia and expo, 2000. ICME 2000. 2000 IEEE international conference, Vol. 1 (pp. 88–91). IEEE, New York, NY, USA.Google Scholar