Modeling the Performance of ARQ Error Control in an LTE Transmission System
We consider the transmission of protocol data units in an LTE eNodeB in downlink direction and focus on the radio link control (RLC) and hybrid Automatic-Repeat-Request functionality at layer 2 of the transmission system. We model the associated window flow control of RLC frames in terms of an open queueing network with two stations and describe RLC frames waiting for acceptance by the flow control window by repeated objects collected in an orbit in front of this multi-server queueing network. We describe the correlated arrivals of frames by a general Markovian arrival process and the transfer of data transport blocks along the orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing channels by state-dependent service processes and varying channel capacities. We derive a versatile finite Markovian queueing model and show that its steady-state distribution can be computed in terms of a level-independent QBD process. Then we determine the basic performance metrics of the system in terms of the latter steady-state distribution.
KeywordsLTE performance analysis Window flow control Hybrid ARQ MAP Level-independent QBD
The authors appreciate the anonymous reviewers for their valuable comments which helped them to improve their presentation.
- 1.Badia, L., Levorato, M., Zorzi, M.: Markov analysis of selective repeat type II hybrid ARQ using block codes. IEEE Trans. Commun. 56(9), 1434–1441 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Dahlman, E., Parkvall, S., Skold, J.: 4G, LTE-Advanced Pro and The Road to 5G, 3rd edn. Academic Press, Cambridge (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.IS-Wireless: 5G Toolset - Complete framework for research and education on 4G and 5G. Il. Pulawska 45b, 05–500 Piaseczno, Poland (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.Krieger, U.R., Naoumov, V., Wagner, D.: Analysis of a finite FIFO buffer in an advanced packet-switched network. IEICE Trans. Commun. E81–B(5), 937–947 (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Krieger, U.R., Savoric, M.: Performance evaluation of ABR flow-control protocols in a wireless ATM network. In: Proceedings of Wowmom 1998, USA, pp. 73–82, October 1998Google Scholar
- 9.Kumar, K.B., et al.: Analysis of multiprogramming-multiprocessor retrial queueing systems with Bernoulli vacation schedule. Technical report, Anna University, Chennai, India (2017)Google Scholar
- 10.Kurose, J., Ross, K.W.: Computer Networking: A Top Down Approach, 7th edn. Pearson Education Ltd., Upper Saddle River (2017)Google Scholar
- 12.Liu, W., Krieger, U.R., Akyildiz, I.: An admission control model through outband signalling management. In: Proceedings of the IEEE INFOCOM 1992, Florence, Italy, May 1992Google Scholar
- 17.Ye, J., Li, S.-Q.: Folding algorithm: a computational method for finite QBD processes with level-dependent transitions. IEEE Trans. Commun. 42(2–4), 625–639 (1994)Google Scholar