RNA Secondary Structure an Overview
It was believed that the single role of the Ribonucleic acid (RNA) is to carry the information necessitate to build a specific protein. Now it discovered that RNA has important and essential roles in many gene regulatory networks and many other cellular functions. Thus, the prediction of RNA structures becomes the subject of many studies in the last few years.
Determining the secondary structure of an RNA from its primary sequence is a challenging computational task. Various methods have been proposed to handle this problem. Initially, there are physical methods such as X-Ray, Crystallography, and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance. These methods are too costly, and they necessitate a lot of effort and so much time consuming. Therefore, the bioinformatics methods become highly needed.
In this paper, we will review the usually used approaches to predict RNA secondary structure counting the dynamic programming approach, the soft computing approach, the comparative approach, and the grammatical approach. Finally as perspective, we propose a method based on Genetic Algorithm principle and Greedy Randomized Adaptive Search Procedure (GRASP) method.
KeywordsBioinformatics Ribonucleic acid (RNA) RNA secondary structure
- 1.Osman, M.N., Abdullah, R., AbdulRashid, N.: RNA secondary structure prediction using dynamic programming algorithm – a review and proposed work. In: 2010 International Symposium in Information Technology (ITSim), vol. 2, pp. 551–556. IEEE, June 2010Google Scholar
- 4.Tinoco, I., Borer, P.N., Dengler, B., Levine, M.D., Uhlenbeck, O.C., Crothers, D.M., Gralla, J.: Improved estimation of secondary structure in ribonucleic acids. Nature 246(150), 40–41 (1973)Google Scholar
- 11.Tong, K.K., Cheung, K.Y., Lee, K.H., Leung, K.S.: GAknot: RNA secondary structures prediction with pseudoknots using genetic algorithm. In: 2013 IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (CIBCB), pp. 136–142. IEEE, April 2013Google Scholar
- 13.Liu, Q., Ye, X., Zhang, Y.: A Hopfield neural network based algorithm for RNA secondary structure prediction. In: First International Multi-Symposiums on Computer and Computational Sciences, 2006, IMSCCS 2006, vol. 1, pp. 10–16. IEEE, June 2006Google Scholar
- 19.Jiwan, A., Singh, S.: A review on RNA pseudoknot structure prediction techniques. In: 2012 International Conference on Computing, Electronics and Electrical Technologies (ICCEET), pp. 975–978. IEEE, March 2012Google Scholar
- 20.Garca, R.: Prediction of RNA pseudoknotted secondary structure using Stochastic Context Free Grammars (SCFG). CLEI Electron. J. 9(2) (2006)Google Scholar
- 24.Mizoguchi, N., Kato, Y., Seki, H.: A grammar-based approach to RNA pseudoknotted structure prediction for aligned sequences. In: 2011 IEEE 1st International Conference on Computational Advances in Bio and Medical Sciences (ICCABS), pp. 135–140. IEEE, February 2011Google Scholar
- 35.Markham, N.R., Zuker, M.: UNAFold: software for nucleic acid folding and hybridization. In: Bioinformatics: Structure, Function and Applications, pp. 3–31 (2008)Google Scholar
- 39.Zhang, T., Guo, M., Zou, Q.: RNA secondary structure prediction based on forest representation and genetic algorithm. In: Third International Conference on Natural Computation, 2007, ICNC 2007, vol. 4, pp. 370–374. IEEE, August 2007Google Scholar
- 41.Tan, G., Feng, S., Sun, N.: Locality and parallelism optimization for dynamic programming algorithm in bioinformatics. In: Proceedings of the 2006 ACM/IEEE Conference on Supercomputing, p. 78. ACM, November 2006Google Scholar
- 42.Namsrai, O.E., Jung, K.S., Kim, S., Ryu, K.H.: RNA secondary structure prediction with simple pseudo knots based on dynamic programming. In: International Conference on Intelligent Computing, pp. 303–311. Springer, Berlin, August 2006Google Scholar