Multi-Lingual LSA with Serbian and Croatian: An Investigative Case Study
- 542 Downloads
One of the challenges in information retrieval is attempting to search a corpus of documents that may contain multiple languages. This exploratory study expands upon earlier research employing Latent Semantic Analysis (so called Multi-Lingual Latent Semantic Indexing, or ML-LSI/LSA). We experiment using this approach, and a new one, in a multi-lingual context utilising two similar languages, namely Serbian and Croatian. Traditionally, with an LSA approach, a parallel corpus would be needed in order to train the system by combining identical documents in two languages into one document. We repeat that approach and also experiment with creating a semantic space using the parallel corpus on its own without merging the documents together to test the hypothesis that, with very similar languages, the merging of documents may not be required for good results.
KeywordsLatent Semantic Analysis (LSA) Parallel Corpus Semantic Space Multilingual Information Retrieval Multi-lingual IR
This article is based upon work from COST Action KEYSTONE IC1302, supported by COST (European Cooperation in Science and Technology).
- 2.Chew, P., Abdelali, A.: The effects of language relatedness on multilingual information retrieval: a case study with Indo-European and semitic languages. In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on “Cross Lingual Information Access” Addressing the Information Need of Multilingual Societies, pp. 1–9, January 2008. http://anthology.aclweb.org/I/I08/I08-6.pdf#page=10
- 3.Corbett, G.G., Browne, W.: Serbo-croat: Bosnian, Croatian, Montenegrin, Serbian. In: The World’s Major Languages, pp. 330–346. Routledge, London (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Dumais, S.T., Letsche, T.A., Littman, M.L., Landauer, T.K.: Automatic cross-language retrieval using latent semantic indexing. AAAI Technical Report SS-97-05, pp. 18–24 (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Dwivedi, S., Chandra, G.: A survey on cross language information retrieval. Int. J. Cybern. Inform. 5(1), 127–142 (2016)Google Scholar
- 12.Tyers, F.M., Alperen, M.S.: South-East European Times: a parallel corpus of Balkan languages. In: Proceedings of the Workshop on Exploitation of Multilingual Resources and Tools for Central and (South) Eastern European Languages, LREC 2010, pp. 49–53 (2010). http://xixona.dlsi.ua.es/~fran/publications/lrec2010.pdf
- 13.Young, P.G.: Cross-language information retrieval using latent semantic indexing. Master’s thesis. University of Knoxville, Tennessee (1994)Google Scholar