Down but Not Out: British Academics Resolutely Determined to Explore Canada
The story of Canadian studies in the United Kingdom begins with the intrepid pioneers who studied Canada prior to the formation of the British Association for Canadian Studies (BACS) in 1975. BACS represented the beginning of a process of institutionalization in Canadian studies, including the creation of chairs and centers, an annual conference and other accoutrements of a specialized field in area studies. Support from the Canadian government arrived with the establishment in 1977 of the post of Academic Relations Officer at the Canadian High Commission, followed by the launching of the Canadian Studies grant program that aided in the launching of the British Journal of Canadian Studies in December 1986. This chapter will examine the phases of growth and more recently of retrenchment in Canadian studies over the past 40 years. It concludes with an assessment of likely future developments.
- Academic Relations. 2000. 25 Years of Canadian Studies in the United Kingdom. London: Academic Relations.Google Scholar
- Anderson, Robert. 2016. University Fees in Historical Perspective, Policy Papers. History and Policy. http://www.historyandpolicy.org/policy-papers/papers/university-fees-in-historical-perspective. Accessed 19 Feb 2018.
- British Academy. 2013. Languages: The State of the Nation: Summary Report, London, British Academy. https://www.britac.ac.uk/sites/default/files/State_of_the_Nation_SUMMARY_WEB.pdf. Accessed 4 Jan 2018.
- British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). 2017. University of Bath Vice Chancellor Quits in Pay Row. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42152743. Accessed 5 Jan 2018.
- Buckner, Philip (ed.). 2005. Canada and the End of Empire. Vancouver: University of British Columbia Press.Google Scholar
- Buckner, Philip. 2008. Canada and the British Empire. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Collingwood, Judy. 1998. Guide to Resources on Canadian Studies in the UK and Ireland. London: British Association for Canadian Studies.Google Scholar
- Daily Telegraph. 2017. University Vice Chancellor Criticized for Accepting £70,000 Pay Rise, December 1, Victoria Ward.Google Scholar
- Department of Business, Innovation and Skills. 2012. Government to Open Up Publically Funded Research. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-to-open-up-publicly-funded-research. Accessed 5 Jan 2018.
- Hill Times. 2017. Time to Restore Funding to Canadian Studies Abroad. https://www.hilltimes.com/2017/03/01/time-restore-funding-canadian-studies-abroad/97857. Accessed 5 Jan 2018.
- International Council for Canadian Studies. 2018. Mandate and Strategic Plan. https://www.iccs-ciec.ca/mandate-strategic-plan.php.
- Jaumain, Serge. 2006. The Canadianists. Ottawa: International Council for Canadian Studies.Google Scholar
- Mancuinion. 2017. Students and Staff Shocked at Impending Job Cuts, Sowerby, G. and Shanks, E., May 14. http://mancunion.com/2017/05/14/students-staff-share-shocked-reactions-impending-job-cuts/. Accessed 4 Jan 2018.
- Martin, Ged. 2013. John A. Macdonald: Canada’s First Prime Minister, 215. Toronto: Dundurn Press.Google Scholar
- Nye, Joseph. 2004. Soft Power: The Means to Success in World Politics. New York: Perseus Books.Google Scholar
- Rooth, Tim (ed.). 2007. Canadian Studies in Britain: 1970–2010. London: British Association for Canadian Studies.Google Scholar
- Simpson, Donald. 1992. Canadian Studies in the United Kingdom. London: British Association for Canadian Studies; Ottawa: International Council for Canadian Studies.Google Scholar
- Symons, Tom. 1975. To Know Ourselves. The Report of the Commission on Canadian Studies. Ottawa: Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada.Google Scholar
- Timpson, Annis May, and Julian Baggini. 1996. Canadian Studies in the UK: A Directory of Canadianists, Courses and Research. London: British Association for Canadian Studies.Google Scholar
- Universities UK. 2017. Patterns and Trends in UK Higher Education. http://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/facts-and-stats/data-and-analysis/Documents/patterns-and-trends-2017.pdf. Accessed 4 Jan 2018.