Diagnosing Hybrid Dynamical Systems Using Max-Plus Algebraic Methods
This article uses an algebraic framework for hybrid systems diagnosis. We define hybrid systems using a class of discrete-event systems, max-plus linear discrete-event systems, which define synchronization without concurrency or selection. While these hybrid systems models are non-linear in a conventional algebra, they are linear in the max-plus algebra, thereby enabling linear-time inference. We use an observer-based framework for monitoring and diagnosing max-plus diagnostics models, and further improve computational efficiency by searching over only the most-likely space of behaviours. We illustrate our approach using a multi-tank benchmark example.
The paper has been supported by SFI grants 12/RC/2289 and 13/RC/2094.
- 1.Arogeti, S. A., Wang, D., & Low, C. B. (2008). Mode tracking and FDI of hybrid systems. In 10th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision (ICARCV) (pp. 892–897). New York: IEEE.Google Scholar
- 3.Basile, F. (2014). Overview of fault diagnosis methods based on Petri net models. In 2014 European Control Conference (ECC) (pp. 2636–2642). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 10.Gaubert, S. (1990). An algebraic method for optimizing resources in timed event graphs. In Analysis and optimization of systems (pp. 957–966). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- 12.Gaubert, S. (1997). Methods and applications of (max,+) linear algebra. In Annual symposium on theoretical aspects of computer science (pp. 261–282). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- 17.Koutsoukos, X., Kurien, J., & Zhao, F. (2002). Monitoring and diagnosis of hybrid systems using particle filtering methods. In International Symposium on Mathematical Theory of Networks and Systems.Google Scholar
- 19.Lerner, U., Parr, R., Koller, D., Biswas, G. (2000). Bayesian fault detection and diagnosis in dynamic systems. In AAAI/IAAI (pp. 531–537).Google Scholar
- 20.Manger, R. (2008). A catalogue of useful composite semirings for solving path problems in graphs. In Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Operational Research (KOI 2006).Google Scholar
- 21.Provan, G. (2016). A general characterization of model-based diagnosis. In Proceedings of the 22nd European Conference on Artificial Intelligence. IOS Press.Google Scholar