Artificial Intelligence, Autonomous Systems and Robotics: Legal Innovations
Ethical, societal and legal issues are rising jointly with the development of autonomous robotic systems immersed into human society. This work focuses on legal aspects and intends to raise the awareness of engineers and researchers in the fields of robotics and artificial intelligence with applications to embedded autonomous systems, cyber-physical systems and self-organizing systems. The paper discusses in detail some recent legal innovations in these fields. Two questions are specifically addressed: how does the lawyer apprehend artificial intelligence and robotics? Which are the existing rules and the necessary legal innovations coming in the next years?
KeywordsArtificial intelligence Data Robotics Legal General data protection regulation Intellectual property EU civil laws on robotics Liability Cyber-physical systems
This work is done within the context of the project “Droit des robots et autres avatars de l’humain” (robotic laws and other avatars of the human). The authors would like to thank the University of Strasbourg for its support to this project. This research work is also done in the context of the project “Etude de faisabilité de l’intelligence artificielle pour le train autonome” (feasibility study on artificial intelligence for the autonomous train) supported by the Railenium technological research institute and funded by the French railway agency SNCF. The authors would also like to thank these institutions for their supports.
- 1.Delcroix, G.: Des objets connectés aux objets autonomes : quelles libertés dans un monde robotisé ? https://linc.cnil.fr/fr/des-objets-connectes-aux-objets-autonomes-quelles-libertes-dans-un-monde-robotise (2017)
- 2.Bouzeghoub, M., Mosseri, R.: Les Big Data à découvert, CNRS éditions (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.Stoyanovich, J., Abiteboul, S., Miklau, G.: Data, responsibly: fairness, neutrality and transparency in data analysis. In: International Conference on Extending Database Technology, 15 Mar 2016Google Scholar
- 4.Nevejans, N.: Traité de droit et d’éthique de la robotique civile, LEH Edition (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.Pascual, D.G., Kumar, U.: Maintenance Audits Handbook: A Performance Measurement Framework. CRC Press (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Lee, J., Bagheri, B., Kao, H.-A.: A Cyber-Physical Systems architecture for Industry 4.0-based manufacturing systems, Manufact. Lett. 3, 18–23 (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Trentesaux, D., Rault, R.: Ethical behaviour of autonomous non-military cyber-physical systems. In: XIX International Conference on Complex Systems: Control and Modeling Problems, Samara, Russia, Sept 2017Google Scholar
- 8.Trentesaux, D., Rault, R.: designing ethical cyber-physical industrial systems. In IFAC-PapersOnLine, pp. 14934–14939 (2017)Google Scholar