Banking Regulation in Croatia: Qualitative and Quantitative Assessment
- 177 Downloads
This chapter emphasizes the specifics of the Croatian banking sector and discusses the importance of the regulatory framework for the Croatian banking system in the historical perspective. It analyses the roles of the regulators, bank managers, depositors, taxpayers, borrowers and shareholders in shaping the political economy landscape for banking regulation in Croatia. This covers the period since the demise of socialism until the present day. This is followed by a broad overview of the main developments in the banking sector based on data on financial soundness, with the focus on the period from 2000 onwards. To empirically assess the effects of banking regulation on financial soundness indicators and lending activity, the authors will use vector auto regression (VAR) models. As the key explanatory variable the authors will use the index of regulatory burden and indicator of monetary policy stance, while capital adequacy, liquidity indicators and lending to the private sector are included as variables of interest.
KeywordsCroatian Banks Croatian Croatian National Bank (CNB) SOEs State-owned Enterprises (SOEs) Reserve Requirement Rate International Centre For Settlement Of Investment Disputes (ICSID)
- Ahec-Šonje, A. (2017). Kad bikovi polome rogove: valutne krize u Hrvatskoj. https://arhivanalitika.hr/blog/kad-bikovi-polome-rogove-valutne-krize-u-hrvatskoj/. Downloaded 8 August 2017.
- Brunnermeier, M. K., & Sannikov, Y. (2012). Redistributive Monetary Policy. http://scholar.princeton.edu/sites/default/files/04c%20Redistributive%20Monetary%20Policy.pdf. Downloaded 4 August 2017.
- Calomiris, C. W., & Haber, S. H. (2014). Fragile by Design: The Political Origins of Banking Crises and Scarce Credit. Princeton/Oxford: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Galac, T. (2010). The Central Bank as Crisis-Manager in Croatia – A Counterfactual Analysis, Croatian National Bank Working Papers, W-57. http://old.hnb.hr/publikac/istrazivanja/w-027.htm. Downloaded 20 August 2017.
- Hannan, T. H. (1989). The Impact of Bank Regulatory Requirements on Large Corporate Lending, Federal Reserve Board Finance and Economics Discussion Series, No. 63.Google Scholar
- HUB Analize. (2015). Sanacije banaka u Hrvatskoj: petnaest godina poslije. http://www.hub.hr/sites/default/files/hub_analize_51_-_sanacije.pdf. Downloaded 9 September 2017.
- Jankov, L. (2000). Problemi banaka: uzroci, načini rješavanja i posljedice. Pregledi, br. 2, Zagreb: Hrvatska narodna banka.Google Scholar
- Kotarski, K., & Tkalec, M. (2018). Monetary Policy in a Highly Euroised Economy (this Volume).Google Scholar
- Kraft, E., & Galac, T. (2011). Macroprudential Regulation of Credit Booms and Busts: The Case of Croatia, The World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 5772. http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/438101468232747295/Macroprudential-regulation-of-credit-booms-and-busts-the-case-of-Croatia. Downloaded 2 August 2017.
- Laeven, L., & Valencia, F. (2008). Systemic Banking Crises: A New Database, IMF Working Paper WP/08/224. https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2008/wp08224.pdf. Downloaded 10 September 2017.
- Martinis, A., & Ljubaj, I. (2017). Corporate Debt Overhang in Croatia: Micro Assessment and Macro Implications, Croatian National Bank W-51. https://www.hnb.hr/documents/20182/783865/22-dec-martinis-ljubaj.pdf/c9ae14a1-dc60-483d-8288-c06c4d1248f0. Downloaded 20 September 2017.
- Šimović, H., & Deskar Škrbić, M. (2018). Fiscal Policy and the European Semester in Croatia: Why Should We Focus on Public Debt? (this volume).Google Scholar
- Šonje, V., Božić, J., & Ognjenović, Đ. (2005). Regulacijsko opterećenje banaka u sedam zemalja srednje Europe, Hrvatska udruga banaka.Google Scholar
- Šonje, V., & Vujčić, B. (2000). Hrvatska u drugoj fazi tranzicije 1994. ―1999, Zagreb: Hrvatska narodna banka.Google Scholar
- Šonje, V. (1996). Banking System in Croatia: Evolution, Structure and Performance. Privredna kretanja i ekonomska politika, 6(54), 45–63.Google Scholar
- Croatian National Bank. (2017). Konsolidirana bilanca drugih monetarnih financijskih institucija. http://old.hnb.hr/statistika/h-statistika-statisticki-pregled.htm. Downloaded 22 August 2017.
- ECB Statistical Data Warehouse. (2017). Financial markets and interest rates. http://sdw.ecb.europa.eu/browse.do?node=9691099. Downloaded 21 August 2017.
- Eurostat. (2017). Government Finance and EDP Statistics. http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/government-finance-statistics/data/database. Downloaded 18 August 2017.
- Global Financial Development Database (GFDD). (2017). Global Financial Development, https://data.worldbank.org/data-catalog/global-financial-development. Downloaded 14 July 2017.