“Nonsense Rides Piggyback on Sensible Things”: The Past, Present, and Future of Graphology
“Nonsense rides piggyback on sensible things”, declares professional sceptic and questioned-document analyst Joe Nickell concerning graphology. This chapter examines graphology’s enduring allure and reach, despite its controversies, and considers its relationship with other types of handwriting analysis. It first asks: is it possible to metaphorically “dissect” the page of handwritten texts, to scrutinize writing as a “medical paratext” rich in information about the writer’s state of health? It then interrogates the nature of the connection between physical and mental states and handwriting. It demonstrates how academics are going “back to basics” with their enquiries into individual difference and handwriting features, and how digital methodologies are contributing to this. Thus, this chapter is an updated study of graphology, providing a wider understanding of the concept of the paratext by considering the information captured in handwriting in the context of a digital age.
- Beech, John R., and Isla C. Mackintosh. 2005. Do Differences in Sex Hormones Affect Handwriting Style? Evidence from Digit Ratio and Sex Role Identity as Determinants of the Sex of Handwriting. Personality and Individual Differences 39 (2): 459–468. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2005.01.024.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Beyerstein, Barry L., and Dale F. Beyerstein. 1992. General Introduction to The Write Stuff: Evaluations of Graphology, the Study of Handwriting Analysis, ed. Barry L. Beyerstein and Dale F. Beyerstein, 13–22. Buffalo: Prometheus Books.Google Scholar
- Bradley, Nigel. 2005a. Codes of Conduct and Graphology. Paper Presented at the 8th British Symposium of Graphology Proceedings, St. Anne’s College, Oxford. http://www.wmin.ac.uk/marketingresearch/graphology/ethicsoxford05eng.htm
- ———. 2005b. Users of Graphology. Graphology, the Journal of the British Academy of Graphology 69: 55–57.Google Scholar
- British Institute of Graphologists. 2015. What Is Graphology? http://www.britishgraphology.org/about-british-institute-of-graphologists/what-is-graphology/. Accessed 8 Jan 2015.
- Caplan, Jane. 2014. Your Hand: Signatures and Writing. Lecture Presented at Gresham College, London, June 23. http://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-and-events/your-hand-signatures-and-handwriting.
- Champa, H. N., and K. R. Ananda Kumar. 2010. Automated Human Behavior Prediction Through Handwriting Analysis. Paper Presented at the 2010 First International Conference on Integrated Intelligent Computing (ICIIC), Bangalore, August 5–6, 2010. doi:https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIIC.2010.29.
- Champa, H.N., and K.R. Ananda Kumar. 2011. Rule-Based Approach for Personality Prediction Through Handwriting Analysis. International Journal of Computational Intelligence and Healthcare Informatics 4: 27–29.Google Scholar
- Chartered Institute for Personnel and Development. 1998/2001. Graphology: Quick Facts. London: CIPD.Google Scholar
- Crumbaugh, James. 1992. Graphoanalytic Clues. In The Write Stuff: Evaluations of Graphology, the Study of Handwriting Analysis, ed. Barry L. Beyerstein and Dale F. Beyerstein, 105–120. Buffalo: Prometheus Books.Google Scholar
- Douglas, Ian. 2015. Male and Female Brains Are Utter Tosh—Yet We Still Have Men and Women. The Telegraph, December 2. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/male-and-female-brains-are-utter-tosh---yet-we-still-have-men-an/. Accessed 5 June 2017.
- Duffy, Jonathan, and Giles Wilson. 2005. Writing Wrongs. BBC News Magazine, February 1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4223445.stm. Accessed 5 June 2017.
- Ganz, David. 1999. ‘Mind in Character’: Ancient and Medieval Ideas About the Status of the Autograph as an Expression of Personality. In Of the Making of Books: Medieval Manuscripts, Their Scribes and Readers. Essays Presented to M B. Parkes, ed. P.R. Robinson and Rivkah Zim, 280–299. Aldershot: Scolar.Google Scholar
- “General Disclaimer.” 2015. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Last Modified December 17, 2015. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:General_disclaimer
- Górska, Zuzanna, and Artur Janicki. 2012. Recognition of Extraversion Level Based on Handwriting and Support Vector Machines. Perceptual & Motor Skills 114: 857–869. https://doi.org/10.2466/03.09.28.PMS.114.3.857-869.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- “Graphology.” Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Last Modified May 6, 2017. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphology
- Greenwood, Chris, and Emine Sinmaz. 2016. Jo Cox’s Killer Warned of ‘Bloody Struggle’ for White Supremacy and Even Signed Off Letters to Pro-apartheid Magazine with ‘Racial Regards.’ http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3969826/Jo-Cox-s-killer-warned-bloody-struggle-white-supremacy-signed-letters-pro-apartheid-magazine-racial-regards.html#ixzz4hQGoSmK3. Accessed 5 June 2017.
- “How to Read an Article History.” 2015. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Last Modified May 23, 2017. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:How_to_read_an_article_history
- Khaleeli, Homa. 2015. Prince Charles Letters: What Does a Graphologist Make of Them? The Guardian, March 29. http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/shortcuts/2015/mar/29/prince-charles-letters-graphologist. Accessed 5 June 2017.
- Lockowandt, Oskar. 1992. The Present Status of Research on Handwriting Psychology as a Diagnostic Method. In The Write Stuff. Evaluations of Graphology. The Study of Handwriting Analysis, ed. Barry L. Beyerstein and Dale F. Beyerstein, 55–85. Buffalo: Prometheus Books.Google Scholar
- Miguel-Hurtado, Oscar, Richard Guest, Sarah V. Stevenage, and Greg J. Neil. 2014. The Relationship Between Handwritten Signature Production and Personality Traits. Paper Presented at the International Joint Conference on Biometrics, Clearwater, September 29–October 2, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/BTAS.2014.6996245.
- Murray-Browne, Tim. 2016. Foreign Scripts and Familiar Handwriting. Movement Alphabet, September 12. http://movementalphabet.com/foreign-scripts-and-familiar-handwriting/. Accessed 5 June 2017.
- Mutalib, Sofianita, Roslina Ramli, Shuzlina Abdul Rahman, Marina Yusoff, and Azlinah Mohamed. 2008. Towards Emotional Control Recognition Through Handwriting Using Fuzzy Inference. Paper Presented at the International Symposium on Information Technology, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, August 26–28, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/ITSIM.2008.4631735.
- Nickell, Joe. 1992. A Brief History of Graphology. In The Write Stuff: Evaluations of Graphology, the Study of Handwriting Analysis, ed. Barry L. Beyerstein and Dale F. Beyerstein, 23–29. Buffalo: Prometheus Books.Google Scholar
- Thompson, Damian. 2015. Charles’s ‘Spider Letters’: The Guardian Falls for the Pseudoscience of Graphology. The Spectator, May 13. https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2015/05/charless-spider-letters-the-guardian-falls-for-the-pseudoscience-of-graphology/. Accessed 5 June 2017.
- Thornton, Tamara Plakins. 1998. Handwriting in America: A Cultural History. New Haven/London: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- “User Contributions. For Geeveraune.” 2016. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Geeveraune. Accessed 5 June 2017.
- “User:Tronvillain.” 2016. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Last Modified January 20, 2017. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tronvillain.
- Williams, Sarah Rhiannon. 2001. English Vernacular Letters c. 1400–1600: Language, Literacy and Culture. PhD Dissertation, University of York.Google Scholar