A Technological Proposal Using Virtual Worlds to Support Entrepreneurship Education for Primary School Children
The importance of entrepreneurship education from elementary school through college is now recognized as an important aspect of children’s education. At the level of basic education, the development of entrepreneurial activities using Information and Communication Technologies, specifically three-dimensional virtual worlds, is seen as an area with potential for exploration.
The research presented herein is a model that allows the development of entrepreneurial activities in virtual worlds with children attending primary education. This model allows the preparation, monitoring and development of entrepreneurship education activities in virtual worlds, including safe interaction in virtual worlds between the children and the community. For this, we identified a set of requirements that would allow the teaching and learning of entrepreneurship in virtual worlds, from which a technological model was implemented through an application, EMVKids (after the Portuguese expression “Empreendedorismo em Mundos Virtuais com Crianças”, entrepreneurship with children in virtual worlds).
KeywordsEntrepreneurship Primary education Three-dimensional virtual worlds Collaborative learning Educational virtual environment User-Centered Design
- 1.Pereira, A.M., Martins, P., Morgado, L., Fonseca, B.: A virtual environment study in entrepreneurship education of young children. J. Virtual Worlds Res. 2(1) (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Schumpeter, J.A.: The theory of economic development. H.U. Press, Cambridge (1949)Google Scholar
- 5.Reagle, C., Maggioni, V., Boicu, M., Albanese, M., Joshi, M., Sklarew, D., Peixoto, N.: From idea to prototype: introducing students to entrepreneurship. In: 2017 IEEE Integrated STEM Educational Conference (ISEC), pp. 71–75. IEEE (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.Kirby, D.: Entrepreneurship. McGraw-Hill Education, London (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Pereira, Â., Morgado, L., Martins, P., Fonseca, B.: The use of three-dimensional collaborative virtual environments in entrepreneurship education for children. In: Proceedings of the IADIS International Conference WWW/Internet, pp. 319–322 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Marina, J.A.: A competição para realizar competência empreendedorismo. J. Educ. 351, 49–71 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Wiggins, A., Cowie, M., Tymms, P.: Evaluation of the Whole School Approach to Enterprise in Education. Department of Lifelong Learning. Scottish Executive (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Eschenbrenner, B., Nah, F.F.H., Siau, K.: 3-D virtual worlds in education: applications, benefits, issues, and opportunities. J. DB Manage. 19(4), 91–110 (2008)Google Scholar