Who Is the Data Curator? Defining a Vocabulary
- 501 Downloads
In 2016, the IFLA Section Library Theory and Research has (partially) funded the research project “Data curator who is s/he?” to clarify the profile of data curator. The main goal of the project was to define characteristics of roles and responsibilities of data curators in the international and interdisciplinary contexts. The research questions of the Project were:
R1: How is data curation defined by practitioners/professional working in the field?; R2: What terms are used to describe the roles for professionals in data curation area?; R3: What are primary roles and responsibilities of data curators?; R4: What are educational qualifications and competencies required of data curators?
In this paper we present briefly some of the results related to research questions R1 and R2, namely what terms are used to describe the roles for professionals in data curation area.
KeywordsData curator Data curation Vocabulary
- 2.Bailey, C.W.: Research Data Curation Bibliography. Digital Scholarship, Houston (2017). http://digital-scholarship.org/rdcb/rdcb.htm
- 4.Heidorn, P.B.: The emerging role of libraries in data curation and e-science. J. Libr. Adm. 51(7–8), 662–672 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Lee, C.A., Tibbo, H.R., Schaefer, J.C.: Defining what digital curators do and what they need to know: the DigCCURR project. In: Proceedings of the 7th ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, pp. 49–50. ACM, New York (2007). https://doi.org/10.1145/1255175.1255183
- 9.Palmer, C.L., Thompson, C.A., Baker, K.S., Senseney, M.: Meeting data workforce needs: indicators based on recent data curation placements. In: iConference 2014 Proceedings (2014). http://hdl.handle.net/2142/47308
- 10.Poole, A.H.: Now is the future now? The urgency of digital curation in the digital humanities. Digit. Humanit. Q. 7(2). http://www.digitalhumanities.org/dhq/vol/7/2/000163/000163.html
- 11.Pryor, G.: Why manage research data? In: Pryor, G. (ed.) Managing Research Data. Facet Publishing, London (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Tammaro, A.M., Matusiak, K., Sposito, F.A., Pervan, A., Casarosa, V.: Understanding roles and responsibilities of data curators: an international perspective. Libellarium 9(2), 39–47 (2016)Google Scholar
- 14.Walters, T., Skinner, K.: New roles for new times: digital curation for preservation. Association of Research Libraries, Washington, DC (2011). http://www.arl.org/storage/documents/publications/nrnt_digital_curation17mar11.pdf