The Effect of Macroeconomic Factors on Investor Purchase Decision: The Case Study of HOSE
Purpose: The aim of this paper is to examine how macroeconomic factors affect investors purchase decision based on the volatile trading value of VN-index in the Ho Chi Minh Stock exchange.
Methodology: This study applies the quantitative approach as the major method. The quantitative analysis of this research will conduct by using R-software and SPSS with statistical technique including simple time series analysis, stationary testing parameters, model specification, and binary logistic regression analysis. The study uses the secondary data collected online from the period of 2008 to 2015. Specifically, this paper uses a total of 84 data points which are plenty for the effective regression analysis. This study attempts to provide the better understanding of investors’ behavior under effect of macroeconomic factors.
Findings: All measurement parameters in this study demonstrate as stationary factors and macroeconomic factors show the significant effects on investor purchase decision with regard to Inflation rate, Crude oil price, and Exchange rate. As a result, this research indicates the result of binary regression model related to the odd ratio equation and the level of accurate prediction of the model.
Value: There are various studies carried out to examine the macroeconomic effects on investor purchase decision, but very few of them observed the said effects with the empirical approach. For this reason, this study applies the new method of binary logistic regression in order to calculate the proportion of purchase decision.
KeywordsInvestor purchase decision Macroeconomic effect Stock exchange market HOSE Vietnam
- Akaike, H.: Information theory and an extension of the maximum likelihood principle. In: Petrov, B.N., Csaki, F. (eds.) Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Information Theory, Budapest Akademiai Kiado, pp. 267–281 (1973)Google Scholar
- Bhunia, A.: The shock of the shock of crude price, stock price and selected macro-economic variables on the growth of Indian economy. Sumedha J. Manag. 1(2), 82–89 (2012)Google Scholar
- Charles, A., Kasilingam, R.: Does market sentiments influence investor’s investment decisions? Anvesha 7(3), 24–33 (2014)Google Scholar
- Dickey, D.A., Fuller, W.A.: Likelihood ratio statistics for autoregressive time series with a unit root. Econometrica 49(4), 1057–1072 (1981)Google Scholar
- Fifeková, E., Nemcová, E.: Impact of FDI on economic growth: evidence from V4 countries. Periodica Polytechnica 23(1), 7–14 (2015)Google Scholar
- Elliott, K.: An empirical identification of an appropriate inflation definition and an inflation-targeting monetary policy (Order No. 3251363). Available from ProQuest Central (304767934) (2007). https://search.proquest.com/docview/304767934?accountid=63189
- El-Masry, A.: The Exchange Rate Exposure of UK Nonfinancial Companies: Industry-Level Analysis. Social Science Research Network, Rochester (2009)Google Scholar
- Gujarati, D.N.: Basic Econometrics, 4th Economy edn. Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Ltd., New Delhi (2004)Google Scholar
- Joseph, N.L.: Modelling the impacts of interest rate and exchange rate changes on UK stock returns. Deriv. Use Trading Regul. 7(4), 306–323 (2002)Google Scholar
- Kieu, N.M.D., Nguyen, V., Tam, L.H.N.: (2013). http://tapchitaichinh.vn/nghien-cuu–trao-doi/trao-doi-binh-luan/cac-yeu-to-kinh-te-vi-mo-va-bien-dong-cua-thi-truong-chung-khoan-viet-nam-39026.html. Accessed Sept 2015
- Phillips, P.C.B., Perron, P.: Testing for a unit root in time series regression. Biometrika 75(2), 335–346 (1988). Oxford University PressGoogle Scholar
- Quan, V.D.H., Cong, B.C.: (2016). http://tapchitaichinh.vn/nghien-cuu-trao-doi/nghien-cuu-dieu-tra/yeu-to-and-huong-den-quyet-dinh-cua-nha-dau-tu-chung-khoan-86193.html. Accessed Sept 2016
- Ray, S.: Testing granger causal relationship between macroeconomic variables and stock price behavior: evidence from India. Adv. Appl. Econ. Financ. 3(1), 470–481 (2012). http://worldsciencepublisher.org/journals/index.php/AAEF/issue/view/79 Google Scholar
- Saari, M.Y., Puasa, A.F., Hassan, K.H.: The impact of world crude oil price changes on the Malaysian economy: an input-output analysis. Malays. J. Econ. Stud. 44(1), 1–12 (2007)Google Scholar
- Smith, G.W.: The Missing Links: Better Measures of Inflation and Inflation Expectations in Canada. Commentary - C.D. Howe Institute (287), 0_1, 0_2, pp. 1–19. C.D. Howe Institute, Toronto (2009)Google Scholar
- Suthar, M.H.: Understanding exchange rate expectations in India. IUP J. Appl. Econ. 9(1), 106–126 (2010)Google Scholar
- Thuy, T.T.T., Duong, V.T.T.: Sự tác động của các nhân tố kinh tế vĩ mô đến các chỉ số giá cổ phiếu tại HOSE. Tạp chí nghiên cứu và trao đổi, Đại Học Kinh Tế, số 24, trang 34 (2015)Google Scholar