Healthcare Transition from the Pediatric Provider’s Perspective
This chapter provides an overview of the pediatric provider’s perspective on healthcare transition planning. Barriers encountered in developing and implementing HCT services and programs will be discussed. Strategies to confront these barriers to effect the implementation of services will be addressed.
KeywordsTransfer of care Providers Medical summary Clinical guidelines
- 1.Magrab PR, Miller, H.E.C., editor Surgeon’s General’s Conference: Growing up and getting medical care: Youth with special health care needs. A summary of conference proceedings. Surgeon’s General’s Conference: Growing up and getting medical care: Youth with special health care needs A summary of conference proceedings; 1989 March 13–15, 1989; Jekyll Island, Georga: National Center for Networking Community Based Services. Georgetown University Child Development Center.Google Scholar
- 5.Chu PY, Maslow GR, von Isenburg M, Chung RJ. Systematic Review of the Impact of Transition Interventions for Adolescents With Chronic Illness on Transfer From Pediatric to Adult Healthcare. J Pediatr Nurs. 2015;30(5):e19–27. PubMed PMID: 26209872. Pubmed Central PMCID: NIHMS710745.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.American Academy of Pediatrics, American Academy of Family Physicians, American College of Physicians, Transitions Clinical Report Authoring G, Cooley WC, Sagerman PJ. Supporting the health care transition from adolescence to adulthood in the medical home. Pediatrics. 2011;128(1):182–200. PubMed PMID: 21708806.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.American College of Physicians. Guidelines and Tools Developed for Pediatric-to-Adult Health Care Transitions Initiative. 2016. https://www.acponline.org/acp-newsroom/guidelines-and-tools-developed-for-pediatric-to-adult-health-care-transitions-initiative.
- 11.National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). Autism: Recognition, referral, diagnosis and management of adults on the autism spectrum. London (UK): National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE); 2012. 57, Clinical guideline, no. 142. https://www.guideline.gov/summaries/summary/37864.
- 13.Pediatric Complex Care Association. Children and Young Adults with Medical Complexity: Serving an Emerging Population. 2016. http://pediatriccomplexcare.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/PCCA-CMSWhitePaper012716.pdf.
- 14.National Heart Lung, and Blood Institute. Evidence-Based Management of Sickle Cell Disease: Expert Panel Report, 2014. 2014. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-pro/guidelines/sickle-cell-disease-guidelines.
- 15.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Living with Spina Bifida. 2016. https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/spinabifida/adult.html.
- 23.McPheeters M, Davis AM, Taylor JL, Brown RF, Potter SA, Epstein RA. Transition care for children with special health needs. Technical brief No. 15. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Prepared by the Vanderbilt University Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290–2012–00009-1; 2014.Google Scholar
- 25.Murphy DJ Jr, Foster E, American College of Cardiology Foundation, American Heart Association, American College of Physicians Task Force on Clinical Competence. ACCF/AHA/AAP recommendations for training in pediatric cardiology. Task force 6: training in transition of adolescent care and care of the adult with congenital heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005;46(7):1399–401. PubMed PMID: 16198870.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Ubel P. Why Many physicians are reluctant to see Medicaid patients. Forbes. 2013;Google Scholar
- 28.American Medical Association. Report of the Council on Medical Service. Chicago, Illinois; 2016.Google Scholar
- 29.McManus MM, R. Practice Resource-No.2, 2017 Coding and Reimbursement Tip Sheet for Transition from Pediatric to Adult Health Care Washington, D.C: Got Transition and American Academy of Pediatrics. 2016. http://www.gottransition.org/resourceGet.cfm?id=353.
- 32.Fernandes S, Fishman L, O’Sullivan-Oliveira J, Ziniel S, Melvin P, Khairy P, et al. Current practices for the transition and transfer of patients with a wide spectrum of pediatric-onset chronic diseases: Results of a clinician survey at a free-standing pediatric hospital. Int J Child Adolesc Health. 2012;3:507–15.Google Scholar
- 34.Clarizia NA, Chahal N, Manlhiot C, Kilburn J, Redington AN, McCrindle BW. Transition to adult health care for adolescents and young adults with congenital heart disease: Perspectives of the patient, parent and health care provider. Can J Cardiol. 2009;25(9):e317–e22.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 36.Society of Pediatric (SPN). SPN Position Statement: Transition of Pediatric Patients into Adult Care. Chicago, Illinois: Society of Pediatric Nurses; 2016. p. 9.Google Scholar