Introduction to Emerging Adulthood
What is emerging adulthood? How did it come about? How does it impact the behavior of young people in modern society? Here we introduce these ideas: major concepts are introduced and emerging adulthood is explained in the context of other cohort-based generations. An outline plan of this book is presented by chapter.
KeywordsEmerging adulthood Crime STDs Generation College Parenting
- Salvatore, C. (2013). Arrested adolescent offenders: A study of delayed transition to adulthood. El Paso, TX: LFB Publications.Google Scholar
- Tanner, J. L., & Arnett, J. J. (2009). The emergence of “emerging adulthood”: The new life stage between adolescence and young adulthood. In A. Furlong (Ed.), Handbook of youth and young adulthood. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Tucker, J. S., Ellickson, P. L., Orlando, M., Martino, S. C., & Klein, D. J. (2005). Substance use trajectories from early adolescence to emerging adulthood: A comparison of smoking, binge drinking, and marijuana use. Journal of Drug Issues, 22, 307–332. https://doi.org/10.1177/002204260503500205.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- White, H. R., & Jackson, K. (2004). Social and psychological influences on emerging adult drinking behavior. Alcohol Research & Health, 28, 182–190.Google Scholar
- White, H. R., McMorris, B. J., Catalano, R. F., Fleming, C. B., Haggerty, K. P., & Abbott, R. D. (2006). Increasing alcohol and marijuana use during the transition out of high school into emerging adulthood: The effects of leaving home, going to college, and high school protective factors. Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 67, 810–822. https://doi.org/10.15288/jsa.2006.67.810.CrossRefGoogle Scholar