The chapter introduces the structural dynamic problem for structures discretized as systems with a finite number of degrees of freedom (Multi-Degree-of-freedom: MDOF). Distinction between shear-type frame and bending-type frame is provided. Modal analysis is introduced and the response of MDOF systems to both harmonic and earthquake excitations for undamped and damped systems. Finally the analysis of a 3D MDOF building is also provided.
- Bathe KJ, Wilson EL (1976) Numerical methods in finite element analysis, vol 197. Prentice-Hall, Englewood CliffsGoogle Scholar
- Blevins R (2001) Formulas for natural frequency and mode shape. Krieger Publishing Company, MalabarGoogle Scholar
- Chopra AK (2017) Dynamics of structures: theory and applications to earthquake engineering, 5th edn. Pearson Education, Inc., Hoboken, 960 ppGoogle Scholar
- Fu ZF, He J (2001) Modal analysis. Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford/BostonGoogle Scholar
- Kuttler K (2007) An introduction to linear algebra. Brigham Young University, ProvoGoogle Scholar
- McGuire W, Gallagher RH, Ziemian RD (2000) Matrix structural analysis. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar