In Situ Neutron Diffraction and Acoustic Emission During the Biaxial Loading of AZ31 Alloy
- 2.2k Downloads
The evolution of twinning in randomly textured magnesium alloy and rolled AZ31 alloy during biaxial mechanical tests has been monitored using concurrent application of acoustic emission and neutron diffraction methods. The influence of the loading path on twinning is discussed in detail. It is shown that the twinning is strongly sensitive to the load path.
KeywordsTwinning Biaxial testing In situ methods
The authors are grateful for the financial support of the Czech Science Foundation under the contract 14-36566G. JČ acknowledges the support by the Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, project GA UK Nr. 251715. This work was supported by the project “Nanomaterials centre for advanced applications”, Project No. CZ.02.1.01/0.0/0.0/15_003/0000485, financed by ERDF. KAS and TP thank the European Research Council for the financial support within the advanced grant MULTIAX (339245).
- 1.E.W. Kelly and W.F. Hosford, “DEFORMATION CHARACTERISTICS OF TEXTURED MAGNESIUM”. Transactions of the Metallurgical Society of AIME. 242(4) (1968): p. 654–&.Google Scholar
- 2.E.O. Hall, “The deformation and ageing of mild steel.3. Discussion of results”. Proceedings of the Physical Society of London Section B. 64(381) (1951): p. 747–753.Google Scholar
- 3.O. Muransky, et al., “Investigation of deformation twinning in a fine-grained and coarse-grained ZM20 Mg alloy: Combined in situ neutron diffraction and acoustic emission”. Acta Materialia. 58(5) (2010): p. 1503–1517.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Capek, et al., “Study of the loading mode dependence of the twinning in random textured cast magnesium by acoustic emission and neutron diffraction methods”. Materials Science and Engineering A-Structural Materials Properties Microstructure and Processing. 602 (2014): p. 25–32.Google Scholar
- 5.S. Van Petegem, et al., “In-situ neutron diffraction during biaxial deformation”. Acta Materialia. 105 (2016): p. 404–416.Google Scholar
- 6.V. Bonnand, et al., “Investigation of multiaxial fatigue in the context of turboengine disc applications”. International Journal of Fatigue. 33(8) (2011): p. 1006–1016.Google Scholar
- 7.M.A. Gharghouri, et al., “Study of the mechanical properties of Mg-7.7at.% Al by in-situ neutron diffraction”. Philosophical Magazine a-Physics of Condensed Matter Structure Defects and Mechanical Properties. 79(7) (1999): p. 1671–1695.Google Scholar
- 8.J. Čapek, et al., “Dependence of twinned volume fraction on loading mode and Schmid factor in randomly textured magnesium”. Acta Materialia. 130 (2017): p. 319–328.Google Scholar