Clinical Intelligence: A Data Mining Study on Corneal Transplantation
- 935 Downloads
The purpose of this study is to analyse the Oporto Hospital Center (CHP) corneal transplantation process using Data Mining (DM) techniques, following the Cross Industry Standard Process for Data Mining (CRISP- DM) methodology. The DM goals focused on the definition and evaluation of DM models capable of predicting the priority of a request for a surgical procedure and its waiting time. Thus, 320 models were generated using the Pervasive Data Mining Engine (PDME) tool. The model results showed that although there is no model capable of effectively predicting all priority target classes, a “normal” class can be used to accurately perform this type of prediction, due to good sensitivity results. In some models, the sensitivity achieved results of 94% or even 99% along with an accuracy slightly over 80% for a specific target class.
KeywordsCorneal transplantation Clinical intelligence Data mining
This work has been supported by COMPETE: POCI-01-0145-FEDER-007043 and FCT – Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia within the Project Scope: UID/CEC/00319/2013. This work is also supported by the Deus ex Machina (DEM): Symbiotic technology for societal efficiency gains - NORTE-01-0145-FEDER-000026.
- 1.de Sousa, C.I.P.: Caracterizacão dos parâmetros da película lacrimal e da topographic corneal na populacão adulta portuguesa: um estudo piloto. University of Minho (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.Otel, I.: Evaluation of Corneal Nerve Morphology for Detection and Follow-up of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy. University of Coimbra (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Borges, T., Lages, V., Coelho, J., Gomes, M., Oliveira, M.: Evolução dos Transplantes de Córnea no Centro Hospitalar do Porto: Da Queratoplastia Penetrante aos Transplantes Lamelares. Rev. Soc. Port. Oftalmol. 40(4) (2017) Google Scholar
- 6.Peixoto, R., Portela, F., Santos, M.F.: Towards a pervasive data mining engine—architecture overview. In: Rocha, Á., Correia, A., Adeli, H., Reis, L., Mendonça Teixeira, M. (eds.) New Advances in Information Systems and Technologies. AISC, vol. 445, pp. 557–566. Springer, Cham (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-31307-8_58 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Chapman, P., et al.: CRISP-DM 1.0 Step-by-Step Data Mining Guide (2000). https://www.the-modeling-agency.com/crisp-dm.pdf