Conclusion: Rules of the Game
This book seeks to counter shortcomings identified with existing discussion of literary festivals by acknowledging the complexity of different individuals’ experiences and by gathering the ‘ethnographic data’ that English (2002:127) regards as crucial to understanding contemporary cultural phenomena. This chapter provides a concluding overview of how the book has explored the ways in which literary festivals demonstrably make a space in which personal and social, cultural and commercial, digital and tangible aspects of the literary field can be negotiated in a manner which is reflexive and critical.
- Bourdieu, P. (1986). The Forms of Capital. In J. Richardson (Ed.), Handbook of Theory and Research for the Sociology of Education. New York: Greenwood. 241–258.Google Scholar
- Bourdieu, P. (1991). Price Formation and the Anticipation of Profits. In P. Bourdieu & J. B. Thompson (Eds.), Language and Symbolic Power. (G. Raymond & M. Adamson, Trans.). Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. 67–72.Google Scholar
- Bourdieu, P. (1996). The Rules of Art. (S. Emanuel, Trans.). Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Bourdieu, P. (2006). The Field of Cultural Production. In D. Finkelstein & A. McCleery (Eds.), The Book History Reader. London and New York: Routledge. 99–120.Google Scholar
- English, J. (2002). Winning the Culture Game: Prizes, Awards, and the Rules of Art. New Literary History 33(1), 109–135.Google Scholar
- English, J. (2005). The Economy of Prestige: Prizes, Awards, and the Circulation of Cultural Value. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Habermas, J. (1989 ). The Structural Transformation of the Public Sphere. (T. Burger & F. Lawrence, Trans.). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Lurie, C. (2004). Festival, Inc. Australian Author 36(2), 8–12.Google Scholar
- Meehan, M. (2005). The Word Made Flesh: Festival, Carnality and Literary Consumption. TEXT: Journal of the Australian Association of Writing, Oct. 2005. Retrieved September 3, 2013, from http://pandora.nla.gov.au/tep/10069.