Acute Management of Common Foot and Ankle Injuries
Injuries to the foot and ankle region in elite male professional tennis players are common. Injury statistics from the ATP World Tour show foot and ankle injuries to comprise 12% of all injuries evaluated by physiotherapists and tournament physicians during the course of the 2014 and 2015 seasons. The most commonly encountered ankle injury is the plantar flexion/inversion ankle sprain, which accounted for 35–45% of all foot and ankle injuries on tour in the 2014 and 2015 seasons, respectively. In a survey study of over 800 elite junior tennis players by Kovacs et al. , ankle injuries ranked 3rd behind lower back and shoulder injuries among male and female players. Reece et al.  reported that 59% of all tennis injuries at the Australian Institute of Sport in elite junior players were lower extremity injuries, with an equal representation of trunk and upper extremity injury forming the remaining 41% of injuries.
- 1.Kovacs MA, Ellenbecker TS, Kibler WB, Roetert EP, Lubbers P. Injury trends in American competitive junior tennis players. J Sci Tennis Med. 2014;19(1):19–23.Google Scholar
- 2.Reece LA, Fricker PA, Maguire KF. Injuries to elite young tennis players at the Australian Institute of Sport. Aust J Sci Med Sport. 1986;18:11–5.Google Scholar
- 3.Kovacs MA, Roetert EP, Ellenbecker TS. Complete conditioning for tennis, vol. 2. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics Publishers; 2016.Google Scholar
- 21.Nigg BM. Biomechanical aspects of running. In: Nigg BM, editor. Biomechanics of running shoes. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 1986. p. 1–25.Google Scholar