The Efficacy of Small Closures: A Tale of Two Marine Protected Areas in Canada
Marine managers and conservationists increasingly emphasize the importance of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) as a key tool for sustaining ocean ecosystems. The designation of MPAs often meets with resistance from stakeholders for reasons that include loss of access, unclear benefits, and misunderstanding of the nature of the intervention. In this chapter, we use case studies from two small MPAs on the east coast of Canada to illustrate the issues surrounding planning, implementing, and demonstrating their efficacy.
KeywordsMPA monitoring MPA design Efficacy Lobster Cod Spatial scale Conservation Sustainability Fisheries Habitat Newfoundland and Labrador Stakeholders
- Convention on Biological Diversity. 2010. COP Decision X/2. Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011–2020. Available at: http://www.cbd.int/decision/cop/?id=12268. Accessed 1 June 2017.
- World Parks Congress. 2014. A Strategy of Innovative Approaches and Recommendations to Enhance Implementation of Marine Conservation in the Next Decade. Available at: http://worldparkscongress.org/downloads/approaches/ThemeM.pdf. Accessed 1 June 2017.
- Agardy, T., P. Bridgewater, M.P. Crosby, J. Day, P.K. Dayton, R. Kenchington, D. Laffoley, P. McConney, P.A. Murray, J.E. Parks, and L. Peau. 2003. Dangerous Targets? Unresolved Issues and Ideological Clashes Around Marine Protected Areas. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 13 (4): 353–367.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Benestan, L., T. Gosselin, C. Perrier, B. Sainte-Marie, R. Rochette, and L. Bernatchez. 2015. RAD Genotyping Reveals Fine-Scale Genetic Structuring and Provides Powerful Population Assignment in a Widely Distributed Marine Species: The American Lobster (Homarus americanus). Molecular Ecology 24 (13): 3299–3315.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bradbury, I.R., S. Hubert, B. Higgins, S. Bowman, I.G. Paterson, P.V.R. Snelgrove, C.J. Morris, R.S. Gregory, D.C. Hardie, T. Borza, and P. Bentzen. 2011. Evaluating SNP Ascertainment Bias and Its Impact on Population Assignment in Atlantic Cod, Gadus Morhua. Molecular Ecology Resources 11: 218–225.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Burdett-Coutts, V. 2011. Larval Supply, Settlement, and Recruitment of American Lobster, Homarusamericanus. St. John’s: Biology, Memorial University of Newfoundland.Google Scholar
- Canada. 2005. Canada’s Federal Marine Protected Areas Strategy. Ottawa: Government of Canada.Google Scholar
- Caveen, A., N. Polunin, T. Gray, and S.M. Stead. 2014. The Controversy Over Marine Protected Areas: Science Meets Policy. Cham: Springer.Google Scholar
- CBD-UNEP. 2010. Aichi Biodiversity Targets. https://www.cbd.int/sp/targets.
- Claudet, J. 2010. Marine Protected Areas: A Multidisciplinary Approach. New York: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 2017. Six Conditions Under Which MPAs Might Not Appear Effective (When They Are). ICES Journal of Marine Science. https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsx074.
- Cook, R., J.M. Farinas-Franco, F.R. Gell, R.H.F. Holt, T. Holt, C. Lindenbaum, J.S. Porter, R. Seed, L.R. Skates, T.B. Stringell, and W.G. Sanderson. 2013. The Substantial First Impact of Bottom Fishing on Rare Biodiversity Hotspots: A Dilemma for Evidence-based Conservation. PLoS One 8 (8): e69904.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- COSEWIC. 2010. COSEWIC Assessment and Status Report on the Atlantic Cod (Gadus morhua) in Canada. Ottawa: COSEWICGoogle Scholar
- DFO. 2010. Review of the Gilbert Bay Marine Protected Area (MPA) Monitoring Indicators, Protocols, and Strategies, and an Assessment of the Gilbert Bay Cod Population, Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat Science Advice Report 2010/027(12 pp).Google Scholar
- ———. 2013a. An Assessment of the American Lobster in Newfoundland, DFO Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat Science Advisory Report 2013/068.Google Scholar
- ———. 2013b. Eastport Marine Protected Areas Management Plan: 2013–18. 48 pp. http://www.icomnl.ca/files/DFO%20Eastport%20Booklet%20-%20English%202013%20PDF_Low%20Res.pdf.
- ———. 2016. Guidance on Identifying “Other Effective Area-Based Conservation Measures” in Canadian Coastal and Marine Waters, Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat National Capital Region Science Advisory Report. 2016/002.Google Scholar
- ———. 2017a. Adapting Monitoring Protocols and Strategies for the Gilbert Bay Marine Protected Area, Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat Science Advice Report 2017/021: 8 pp.Google Scholar
- ———. 2017b. Lobster Area Closures (Trout River, Shoal Point, Penguin Islands, Gooseberry Island, Glovers Harbour, Mouse Island, Gander Bay). http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/oceans/oeabcm-amcepz/refuges/lobster-homard-eng.html. Accessed June 2017.
- Edgar, G.J., R.D. Stuart-Smith, T.J. Willis, S. Kininmonth, S.C. Baker, S. Banks, N.S. Barrett, M.A. Becerro, A.T.F. Bernard, J. Berkhout, C.D. Buxton, S.J. Campbell, A.T. Cooper, M. Davey, S.C. Edgar, G. Forsterra, D.E. Galvan, A.J. Irigoyen, D.J. Kushner, R. Moura, P.E. Parnell, N.T. Shears, G. Soler, E.M.A. Strain, and R.J. Thomson. 2014. Global Conservation Outcomes Depend on Marine Protected Areas with Five Key Features. Nature 506 (7487): 216–220.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- FAO. 2012. The State of the World Fisheries and Aquaculture Organisation of the United Nations (FAO). Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization, 209 pp.Google Scholar
- ———. 2016. The State of World Fisheries and Aquaculture 2016: Contributing to Food Security and Nutrition for All. Rome: Food and Agriculture Association of the United Nations, 200 pp.Google Scholar
- FRCC. 1995. A Conservation Framework for Atlantic Lobster: Report to the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, Fisheries Resource Conservation Council FRCC95.R.1.Google Scholar
- Garcia, S.M., J. Kolding, J. Rice, M.J. Rochet, S. Zhou, T. Arimoto, J.E. Beyer, L. Borges, A. Bundy, D. Dunn, E.A. Fulton, M. Hall, M. Heino, R. Law, M. Makino, A.D. Rijnsdorp, F. Simard, and A.D.M. Smith. 2012. Reconsidering the Consequences of Selective Fisheries. Science 335 (6072): 1045–1047.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Garcia-Charton, J.A., A. Perez-Ruzafa, C. Marcos, J. Claudet, F. Badalamenti, L. Benedetti Cecchi, J.M. Falcon, M. Milazzo, P.J. Schembri, B. Stobart, F. Vandeperre, A. Brito, R. Chemello, M. Dimech, P. Domenici, I. Guala, L. Le Direach, E. Maggi, and S. Planes. 2008. Effectiveness of European Atlanto-Mediterranean MPAs: Do They Accomplish the Expected Effects on Populations, Communities and Ecosystems? Journal for Nature Conservation 16 (4): 193–221.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gill, D.A., M.B. Mascia, G.N. Ahmadia, L. Glew, S.E. Lester, M. Barnes, I. Craigie, E.S. Darling, C.M. Free, J. Geldmann, S. Holst, O.P. Jensen, A.T. White, X. Basurto, L. Coad, R.D. Gates, G. Guannel, P.J. Mumby, H. Thomas, S. Whitmee, S. Woodley, and H.E. Fox. 2017. Capacity Shortfalls Hinder the Performance of Marine Protected Areas Globally. Nature 543 (7647): 665–669.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Government of Canada. 2016. 2020 Biodiversity Goals and Targets for Canada. Biodivcanada.ca.Google Scholar
- Hilborn, R. 2017. Food for Thought: Are MPAs Effective? ICES Journal of Marine Science. https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsx068.
- Hilborn, R., K. Stokes, J.J. Maguire, T. Smith, L.W. Botsford, M. Mangel, J. Orensanz, A. Parma, J. Rice, J. Bell, K.L. Cochrane, S. Garcia, S.J. Hall, G.P. Kirkwood, K. Sainsbury, G. Stefansson, and C. Walters. 2004. When Can Marine Reserves Improve Fisheries Management? Ocean and Coastal Management 47 (3–4): 197–205.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- IUCN. 2004. How Is Your MPA Doing? A Guidebook of Natural and Social Indicators for Evaluating Marine Protected Area Management Effectiveness. Cambridge, UK: The World Conservation Union.Google Scholar
- Janes, J. 2009. Assessing Marine Protected Areas as a Conservation Tool: A Decade Later, Are We Continuing to Enhance Lobster Populations at Eastport, Newfoundland? Canadian Technical Report of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 2832, pp. 43.Google Scholar
- Janes, J.M., C. J. Morris, E.J. Bennet, and J.M. Green 2009. Gilbert Bay Marine Protected Area Monitoring Plan. Oceans, Habitat and Species at Risk Publication Series, Newfoundland and Labrador Region 0001, pp. 12.Google Scholar
- Kurlansky, M. 1998. Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World. New York: Penguin books.Google Scholar
- Lewis, S., E. Coughlan, P. Pepin, and K.R. Skanes 2017. An Assessment of the Biological Indicators for the Eastport Marine Protected Area (MPA): A Case Study in Support of an Ecosystem Goods and Services Valuation of MPAs, Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat Research Document 2017/001: 51.Google Scholar
- Morris, C., and J.M. Green. 2010. The Gilbert Bay Marine Protected Area Atlantic Cod Science Monitoring Program, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat Research Document 60.Google Scholar
- ———. In prep. Changes in the Fish Community May Have Consequences for the Gilbert Bay Marine Protected Area.Google Scholar
- Morris, C.J., J.M. Green, P.V.R. Snelgrove, C.J. Pennell, and L.M.N. Ollerhead. 2014. Temporal and Spatial Migration of Atlantic Cod (Gadus morhua) Inside and Outside a Marine Protected Area and Evidence for the Role of Prior Experience in Homing. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 71 (11): 1704–1712.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- MPAtlas. 2017. Atlas of Marine Protection. Accessed http://www.mpatlas.org/2017.
- Pendleton, L.H., G.N. Ahmadia, H.I. Browman, R.H. Thurstan, D.M. Kaplan, and V. Bartolino 2017. Debating the Effectiveness of Marine Protected Areas. ICES Journal of Marine Science. https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsx154.
- Roberts, C.M., B.C. O’Leary, D.J. McCauley, P.M. Cury, C.M. Duarte, J. Lubchenco, D. Pauly, A. Sáenz-Arroyo, U.R. Sumaila, and R.W. Wilson. 2017. Marine Reserves can Mitigate and Promote Adaptation to Climate Change. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 114 (24): 6167–6175.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sinclair-Waters, M. 2017. Genomic Perspectives for Conservation and Management of Atlantic Cod in Coastal Labrador. Halifax: Biology, Dalhousie University.Google Scholar
- Staub, F., and M.E. Hatziolos. 2004. Score Card to Assess Progress in Achieving Management Effectiveness Goals for Marine Protected Areas. Washington, DC: World Bank.Google Scholar
- Toonen, R.J., K.R. Andrews, I.B. Baums, C.E. Bird, G.T. Concepcion, T.S. Daly-Engel, J.A. Eble, A. Faucci, M.R. Gaither, M. Iacchei, J.B. Puritz, J.K. Schultz, D.J. Skillings, M.A. Timmers, and B.W. Bowen. 2011. Defining Boundaries for Ecosystem-based Management: A Multispecies Case Study of Marine Connectivity Across the Hawaiian Archipelago. Journal of Marine Biology. Article ID 460173.Google Scholar
- Verhulst, S., K. Oosterbeek, A.L. Rutten, and B.J. Ens. 2004. Shellfish Fishery Severely Reduces Condition and Survival of Oystercatchers Despite Creation of Large Marine Protected Areas. Ecology and Society 9(1) 1:10.Google Scholar
- Walters, C. 2000. Impacts of Dispersal, Ecological Interactions, and Fishing Effort Dynamics on Efficacy of Marine Protected Areas: How Large Should Protected Areas Be? Bulletin of Marine Science 66 (3): 745–757.Google Scholar