Trust Within Reason: How to Trump the Hermeneutics of Suspicion on Campus
This chapter looks at the Prevent duty in the British university sector, arguing that social trust has been eroded by the process. It infantilises those who are expected to carry out this duty and empowers the state over the individual in ascertaining radicalisation on campus. The Prevent duty in its current shape homogenises the Muslim community and reduces the relationship of trust between the state and its minority population. Muslims in public professions struggle to step outside the frame of radicalisation and Islamic extremism. In an age where slivers of data about individuals and groups are marketable commodities, the disproportionate focus on Islamic extremism works to diminish Muslims and also diminishes the rest of us, who become complicit.
- Agamben, G. 2005 State of Exception. Trans. K. Attell. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Bloodworth, J. 2013. Labour Should Cut Its Ties with the Illiberal Henry Jackson Society. Guardian May 20. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/may/20/labour-cut-ties-henry-jackson-society. Accessed 10 April 2017.
- Casey, L. 2016a. The Casey Review. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/575973/The_Casey_Review. Accessed 11 April 2017.
- ———. 2016b. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/04/social-integration-louise-casey-uk-report-condemns-failings. Accessed 11 April 2017.
- Chahal, S.QC, and Bindmans LLP. 2016. (CO/6361/2015:12). R on the application of Dr Salman Butt v Secretary of State for the Home Department.Google Scholar
- Channel Duty Guidance. 2015. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/425189/Channel_Duty_Guidance_April_2015.pdf. Accessed 11 April 2017.
- Counter Terrorism and Security Act. 2015. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/6/pdfs/ukpga_20150006_en.pdf. Accessed 11 April 2017.
- Debord, G. 1988. Comments on the Society of the Spectacle. Trans. M. Imrie. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Ecclestone, K., and D. Hayes. 2009. The Dangerous Rise of Therapeutic Education. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Higher Education Funding Council. 2015. The Prevent Duty Monitoring Framework for Higher Education. http://www.hefce.ac.uk/media/HEFCE,2014/Content/Pubs/2015/201532/HEFCE_2015_32.pdf. Accessed 11 November 2016.
- Higher Education Policy Institute Keeping Schtum. 2016. http://www.hepi.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Hepi_Keeping-Schtum-Report-85-Web.pdf. Accessed 11 November 2016.
- HM Government Revised Prevent Duty Guidance for England and Wales. https://www.gov.uk/.../3799_Revised_Prevent_Duty_Guidance__England_Wales_V2 . Accessed 12 November 2016.
- Kant, I. 1788/1996. Critique of Practical Reason. In M. Gregor (Ed. and Trans.), The Cambridge Edition of the Works of Immanuel Kant: Practical Philosophy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (5.99).Google Scholar
- Kelly, R. 2006. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2006/aug/24/uksecurity.terrorism. Accessed 11 April 2017.
- Kuenssberg, L. 2011. State Multiculturalism Has Failed, Says David Cameron. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12371994. Accessed 11 April 2017.
- Marcuse, H. 1964. One-Dimensional Man. London/New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Open Society Foundations. 2016. Eroding Trust. The UK’s Prevent Counter-Terrorism Strategy in Education and Health. https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/reports/eroding-trust-uk-s-prevent-counter-extremism-strategy-health-and-education. Accessed 11 April 2017.
- Ricoeur, P. 1986. Lectures in Ideology and Utopia. Ed. G. Taylor. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 1992. Oneself as Another. Trans. K. Blamey. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Rousseau, J-J.  1994. The Social Contract. In Collected Writings of Rousseau, ed. R.D Masters and C. Kelly Dartmouth, Vol. 4. Hanover: University Press of New England.Google Scholar
- Scott-Baumann, A. 2009. Ricoeur and the Hermeneutics of Suspicion. London: Continuum Bloomsbury.Google Scholar
- ———. 2011. Unveiling Orientalism in Reverse. In Islam and the Veil, ed. T. Gabriel. New York/London: Continuum.Google Scholar
- ———. 2017. Ideology, Utopia and Islam on Campus: How to Free Speech a Little from Its Own Terrors. In Education, Citizenship and Social Justice. Paper Accepted for Special Journal Issue on Prevent, Paper Pre-published March 2017. https://doi.org/10.1177/1746197917694183.
- Scott-Baumann, A., and S. Cheruvallil-Contractor. 2015. Islamic Education in Britain: New Pluralist Paradigms. London: Bloomsbury.Google Scholar
- Snell, A. 2017. Prevent Should Stop Fixating on Islam. Prospect July 2017: 10.Google Scholar
- Wolf, C. 1980. A Model Childhood. Trans. U. Molinaro and H. Rappold. London: Virago.Google Scholar