ComSem: Digitization and Semantic Annotation of Comic Books
The popularity of digital comic books keeps rising, causing an increase in interest from traditional publishers. Digitizing existing comic books can require much work though, since older comic books were made when digital versions were not taken into account. Additions such as digital panel segmentation and semantic annotation, which increase the discoverability and functionality, were only introduced at a later point in time. To this end, we made ComSem: a tool to support publishers in this task by automating certain steps in the process and making others more accessible. In this paper we present our demo and how it can be used to easily detect comic book panels and annotate them with semantic metadata.
KeywordsDigital publishing Open image in new window Comic book
- 1.De Meester, B., De Nies, T., Ghaem Sigarchian, H., Vander Sande, M., Van Campen, J., Van Impe, B., De Neve, W., Mannens, E., Van de Walle, R.: A digital-first authoring environment for enriched e-Books using EPUB 3. Information services and use, pp. 259–268 (2014). http://dx.doi.org/10.3233/ISU-140748
- 2.Gylling, M., McCoy, W., Garrish, M.: Epub publications 3.0. Recommended specification IDPF (2011). http://www.idpf.org/epub/30/spec/epub30-publications.html
- 3.Heyvaert, P., De Nies, T., Van Herwegen, J., Vander Sande, M., Verborgh, R., De Neve, W., Mannens, E., Van de Walle, R.: Using EPUB 3 and the open web platform for enhanced presentation and machine-understandable metadata for digital comics. ELPUB 2015, pp. 37–46 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Ho, A.K.N., Burie, J.C., Ogier, J.M.: Panel and speech balloon extraction from comic books. In: 2012 10th IAPR International Workshop on Document Analysis Systems, pp. 424–428 (2012). http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/DAS.2012.66
- 5.Wischenbart, R.: Global EBook: A Report on Market Trends an Developments. O’Reilly Media, Sebastopol (2014)Google Scholar