Towards Inclusive Growth and Sustainable Development: Science, Technology, and Innovation Strategies and Policy Implications
This chapter focuses on the status of national science, technology, and innovation policies and their impacts on establishing the science, technology, and innovation (STI) ecosystem in Turkey following the global crisis of 2008 and provide policy recommendations to attain 2023 Goals for Turkey. Even though Turkey has made significant progress in building up its STI capacities since 2007, its economy continues to underperform in many key STI performance indicators compared to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development and European Union averages. Turkey must introduce second-generation STI reforms and implement them immediately to become a highly productive and competitive economy through innovative and high-tech production and stable and high growth in the context of inclusive growth.
KeywordsKnowledge-based economy Inclusive growth Innovation Science, technology, and innovation (STI) Middle-income trap Emerging country
JEL CodesO11 O31 O38 O57
- ARBIS. 2017. https://arbis.tubitak.gov.tr/.
- Bertelsmann Shiftung and Eurofound. 2014. Social Cohesion and Well-Being in the EU. https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/sites/default/files/ef_publication/field_ef_document/ef1472en.pdf.
- Causa, Orsetta, Sophie Dantan, and Asa Johansson. 2009. Intergenerational Social Mobility in European OECD Countries, OECD Economics Department Working Papers 706.Google Scholar
- European Commission. 2017. Smart Specialisation. https://ec.europa.eu/research/regions/index.cfm?pg=smart_specialisation. Accessed 28 June 2017.
- ———. 2017. Making Innovation Benefit All: Policies for Inclusive Growth. Paris: OECD Publishing. https://www.innovationpolicyplatform.org/system/files/Inclusive%20Growth%20publication%20FULL%20for%20web.pdf.
- Oxfam. 2017. Just 8 Men Own Same Wealth as Half the World. https://www.oxfam.org/en/pressroom/pressreleases/2017-01-16/just-8-men-own-same-wealth-half-world. Accessed 16 Jan 2017.
- Simsek, Mehmet. 2014. Escaping the Middle Income Trap: Turkey’s Strategy. Global Economic Symposium 2014 Proposals. http://www.global-economic-symposium.org/knowledgebase/escaping-the-middle-income-trap/proposals/escaping-the-middle-income-trap-turkey2019s-strategy/#_ftn3.
- TARABIS. 2017. http://tarabis.tubitak.gov.tr. Accessed 28 June 2017.
- TUBITAK. 2010. National STI Strategy 2011–2016. https://www.tubitak.gov.tr/en/about-us/policies/content-national-sti-strategy-2011-2016.
- ———. 2017. National Science, Technology and Innovation Statistics of Turkey. http://www.tubitak.gov.tr/en/content-national-science-technology-and-innovation-statistics-of-turkey.
- TURKSTAT. 2016. R&D Activities Survey 2015. http://www.turkstat.gov.tr/PreHaberBultenleri.do?id=21782.
- World Bank. 2010. Innovation Policy: A Guide for Developing Countries. https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/2460.
- ———. 2017. http://data.worldbank.org/. Accessed 12 June 2017.