Assessment of Financial Risks in the Insurance Sector Using the Sensitivity Analysis
Companies in the modern dynamic market environment must undergo various types of risks. The importance of each type of risk is different for each specific company depending on the nature of its business, the regional scope, markets of operation, corporate organizational structure, etc. The risk management function within the company is carried out in respect of financial risks, operational risks and legal risks. Financial risk comprises market risk (including currency risk, interest rate risk and other price risk), credit risk and liquidity risk. The primary objectives of the financial risk management function are to establish risk limits and then ensure that exposure to risks stays within these limits. In the insurance sector, the risk management programme is focused on the unpredictability of situations in the financial markets and seeks to minimize any potential adverse effect on the financial results of insurance companies. The contribution illustrates and explains one of the most common and simplest methods of the risk assessment, the sensitivity analysis, in a practical example using the Slovak insurance company.
The contribution is an output of the scientific project VEGA 1/0428/17 Creation of new paradigms of financial management at the threshold of the twenty-first century in the conditions of the Slovak Republic.
- Annual report of Komunálna poisťovňa. (2015). Vienna Insurance Group, Slovakia.Google Scholar
- Bartošová, V. (2007). Determinants of firm’s capital structure and their identification in practice. Ekonomiczne problemy usług, 8, 9–14.Google Scholar
- Cisko, S., & Kliestik, T. (2013). Finančný manažment podniku II. EDIS, Žilina.Google Scholar
- Crouhy, M., Mark, R., & Galai, D. (2000). Risk management. New York: McGraw- Hill.Google Scholar
- Fabozzi, J. F., & Peterson, P. (2003). Financial management and analysis. Hoboken: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Jilek, J. (1999). Finanční rizika. Praha: Grada Publishing.Google Scholar
- Jorion, P. (2003). Financial risk manager. Hoboken: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Markovic, P. (2007). Manažment finančných rizík podniku. Iura Edition, Bratislava.Google Scholar
- Misankova, M., Valaskova, K., Cug, J., & Zvarikova, K. (2014). Comparison of selected measures of financial risk. In Management innovation and business innovation:2nd international conference on management innovation and business. Singapore Management and Sports Science Institute, 8–9 Dec 2014.Google Scholar
- Spuchlakova, E., Frajtova-Michalikova, K., & Mirtus, M. (2014). Credit risk measurement. In Economics and social science: 2nd international conference on economics and social science. Information Engineering Research Institute, 29–30 July 2014.Google Scholar
- Svabova, L., & Durica, M. (2015). Základy poistnej matematiky. Dolis, Bratislava.Google Scholar
- Szabo, L., Vrcholova, T., & Dubovicka, L. (2005). Manažment rizika. Ekonóm, Bratislava.Google Scholar