An Innovative Planting System for a Vertical Green Wall
Under the influence of high building density, the heat island effect resulting from urban microclimates increases the heat load of the environment. Through evapotranspiration and shading effects of plants, the addition of green walls to exterior building walls can effectively lower the ambient temperature and satisfy greening needs. Most existing green wall systems use chemical foams and have a short service life. To effectively enhance the benefits of green walls, this study combined green planning, building–human coexistence, use and reuse of rainwater, and green materials to develop a green wall system that delivers sustainable greening. The proposed novel system is innovative and feasible, enables green walls to deliver long-lasting effects, uses the exterior structure of buildings for energy conservation, and facilitates sustainable development for eco-city.
KeywordsGreen planning Vertical green wall Symbiosis Synergy
We thank the “Low Carbon Quality of Life: Applying Greening Technology to Sustainable Green Buildings” research team in the Department of Architecture, National Taipei University of Technology, and KuangHui Peng, Chih-Hong Huang, Shu-Ying Tsai, Yeou-Feng Li, Ying-Chun Hung, and Chao-Shun Yang for their inspiration and participation in this study.
- Brown T (2012) Change by design: how design thinking transforms organizations and inspires innovation. HarperCollins, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Dobelli R (2013) The art of thinking clearly. HarperCollins, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Han P-T (2012) Innovation view. World Magazine, Taipei (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Landry C (2012) The creative city: a toolkit for urban innovators. Taylor & Francis, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Li C (2009) Building Shēng Wài study on the energy-conservation result analysis of graft. Taipei (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Peng K-H (2013) The application of vertical greening to urban rehabilitation and maintenance. Int Rev Spat Plann Sustain Dev 1(3):41–52. Kanazawa, JapanGoogle Scholar
- Yin D-Q, Tsai J-H (2009) Wall greening system of existing buildings, Taiwan Architectural Society of the 21st Session of the Second Architectural Study, published essays, Taipei. Taiwan Architectural Society. (in Chinese)Google Scholar