Scheduling of Appliances in HEMS Using Elephant Herding Optimization and Harmony Search Algorithm
Many techniques have been proposed to manage the demand and supply of electricity. However, due to rapid increase in population, electricity demand becomes a serious issue. In this paper, we evaluated the performance of Home Energy Management System (HEMS) on the basis of two optimizing techniques: Elephant Herding Optimization (EHO) and Harmony Search Algorithm (HSA). For managing demand response, we apply our proposed technique in HEMS for electricity cost and PAR minimization with desirable user waiting time. Simulations results demonstrate the effectiveness of our proposed technique in terms of electricity cost and PAR minimization. However, trade-off occurs between electricity cost and waiting time, when electricity cost is high, than user waiting time is minimized and vice versa.
- 3.Rasheed, M.B., Javaid, N., Ahmad, A., Khan, Z.A., Qasim, U., Alrajeh, N.: An efficient power scheduling scheme for residential load management in smart homes 5, 1134–1163 (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhu, Z., Tang, J., Lambotharan, S., Chin, W.H., Fan, Z.: An integer linear programming based optimization for home demand-side management in smart grid. In: Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT), p. 15 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Ullah, I., Javaid, N., Khan, Z.A., Qasim, U., Khan, Z.A., Mehmood, S.A.: An incentive-based optimal energy consumption scheduling algorithm for residential users. In: The 5th International Conference on Sustainable Energy Information Technology, vol. 52, pp. 851–857 (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Rajarajeswari, V., Modi, A.: Demand side management in smart grid using optimization technique for residential, commercial and industrial load. Indian J. Sci. Technol. 9, 1–7 (2016)Google Scholar
- 14.Ma, J., Chen, H.H., Song, L., Li, Y.: Residential Load scheduling in smart grid: a cost efficiency perspective. IEEE Trans. Smart Grid 7, 771–784 (2015)Google Scholar
- 15.Zafar, A., Shah, S., Khalid, R., Hussain, S.M., Rahim, H., Javaid, N.: A meta-heuristic home energy management system. In: 31st International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications Workshops (WAINA), pp. 244–250 (2017)Google Scholar