Gaining Deeper Understanding of Teaching Speaking Skills from Collaborative Inquiry
This chapter presents an account of a teacher working collaboratively with students to gain a deeper understanding of the ways classroom activities transfer into development of students’ spoken English. The Exploratory Practice (EP) processes of collaboration and inquiry, carried out within the Language Teacher Research (LTR) project, show how the teacher developed insights into aspects of teaching, and the factors which seem to account for the relationship between what is taught and what is learnt. The EP led to shared understanding with students, and to a new-found sense of confidence as a teacher, and new connections to the literature.
- Ellis, R. (1985). Understanding second language acquisition. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Ellis, R. (1990). Instructed second language acquisition. Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Ellis, R. (2003). Task-based language learning and teaching. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Gower, R., Philips, D., & Walters, S. (1995). Teaching practice handbook. Oxford: Macmillan Education.Google Scholar
- Hall, G. (2011). Exploring English language teaching: Language in action. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Hiebert, J., Gallimore, R., & Stigler, J. W. (2003). The new heroes of teaching. Education Week, 23(10), 42–56.Google Scholar
- Lightbown, P. M., & Spada, N. (1999). How languages are learned. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Nation, I. S. P., & Newton, J. (2009). Teaching ESL/EFL listening and speaking. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- O’Dwyer, S. (2006). The English teacher as facilitator and authority. TESL-EJ [e-journal], 9(4). Available at http://www.tesl-ej.org/wordpress/issues/volume9/ej36/ej36a2/. Accessed 20 October 2016.
- Renandya, W. A., & Richards, J. C. (Eds.). (2008). Methodology in language teaching (11th ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Rotschild, T. (2014). Designing and implementing informed task-based second language speaking/listening instruction. Unpublished M.Phil Thesis. The College of Teachers at UCL, Institute of Education, UK.Google Scholar
- Sharp, C. (2007). Making research make a difference. Teacher research: A small-scale study to look at impact. Chelmsford: Flare.Google Scholar
- Willis, J. (1996). A framework for task-based learning. London: Longman.Google Scholar