Almost Concluding Thoughts Between a Comparative Analysis and a Sensitivity Analysis: Look Over the Regulatory View
The chapter proposes a comparative analysis between the new regulatory approach (Standard Measurement Approach, SMA) and the existing one (Advanced Measurement Approach, AMA); provides a risk factor sensitivity analysis of the two approaches and attempts to highlight advantages and disadvantages of this new regulatory approach in the field of the Single Supervisory Mechanism Regulation (SSRM). In this perspective, and in the light of the main results of the comparative analysis, the chapter also tries to define the impact of the new regulatory approach on financial intermediaries in an integrated risk perspective and propose Operational RAF (Risk Appetite Framework) as an important operational management tool.
KeywordsStandard measurement approach Risk factor sensitivity analysis Operational RAF
- Baldan, C., Geretto, E., & Zen, F. (2014). Managing Banking Risk with the Risk Appetite Framework: A Quantitative Model for the Italian Banking System. MPRA paper. http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/59504/.
- BCBS. (2014). Review of the Principles for the Sound Management of Operational Risk. http://www.bis.org/publ/bcbs292.htm.
- BCBS. (2016). Standardised Measurement Approach for Operational Risk. Basel Committee on Banking Supervision. Consultative Document, March. http://www.bis.org/bcbs/publ/d355.pdf.
- COSO. (2012). Enterprise Risk Management. Understanding and Communicating Risk Appetite. Committee of Sponsoring Organizations. http://www.coso.org/documents/ERM-Understanding%20%20Communicating%20Risk%20Appetite-WEB_FINAL_r9.pdf.
- De Polis, S. (2015). L’approccio di vigilanza alla funzione organizzazione nelle banche: tra business ed esigenze di governo. L’uscita dall’eclissi parziale’. Banca d’Italia. www.bancaditalia.it/pubblicazioni/interventi-vari/int-var-2015/depolis-020715.pdf.
- EBA. (2015). RTS on AMA Assessment. European Banking Authority. www.eba.europa.eu/documents/10180/1100516/EBA-RTS-2015-02+RTS+on+AMA+assesment.pdf.
- FSB. (2010). Intensity and Effectiveness of SIFI Supervision. Financial Stability Board. http://www.fsb.org/wp-content/uploads/r_101101.pdf.
- FSB. (2013). Principles for an Effective Risk Appetite Framework. Financial Stability Board, Consultation Paper.Google Scholar
- Lamanda, G. (2011). Regulation and practice of managing the banks ’ operational risks. Ph.D. thesis, Budapest University of Technology and Economics.Google Scholar
- Lamanda, G., & Võneki, Z. T. (2015). Hungry for Risk. A risk appetite framework for operational risks. Public Finance Quarterly, 60(2), 212–225.Google Scholar
- RIMS. (2012). Exploring Risk Appetite and Risk Tolerance. Executive Summary. The Risk Management Society. www.rims.org.
- SSG. (2009). Risk Management Lessons From the Global Banking Crisis of 2008. Senior Supervisors Group. http://www.fsb.org/2009/10/r_0910.
- Towers Watson. (2013a). Another Bite at the Apple. Risk appetite revisited. www.towerswatson.com/DownloadMedia.aspx?media=%7BFF9D7227-D316-45E0-8E42-6C1E51716CAA%7Drecentmarketturbulence.
- Towers Watson. (2013b). Risk and Finance Management Survey. http://www.towerswatson.com/en/Insights/IC-Types/Survey-Research-Results/2013/04/2013-Risk-and-Finance-Manager-Survey.