Predicting Popularity of Topic Based on Similarity Relation and Co-occurrence Relation
Interaction behaviors of users on different platforms on the Internet make user-generated content spread widely and become popular. How to model and predict the popularity of topic concerned by users is vital for many fields. Aiming at the problem of topic popularity prediction on microblog platform, a popularity prediction method based on similar topics and co-occurrence topics is proposed. The method is further evaluated with the Sina Weibo dataset. The experimental results show that our method can have relatively better performance in predicting topic popularity than the baseline methods.
KeywordsPopularity prediction Similarity relation Co-occurrence relation
The work described in this paper is partially supported by National Key Fundamental Research and Development Program (No. 2013CB329601, No. 2013CB329602, No. 2013CB329604) and National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 61502517, No. 61372191, No. 61572492, No. 61502517), 863 Program of China (Grant No. 2012AA01A401, 2012AA01A402, 2012AA013002), Project funded by China Postdoctoral Science Foundation (2013M542560, 2015T81129).
- 1.Wu, T., Timmers, M., Vleeschauwer, D.D., Leekwijck, W.V.: On the use of reservoir computing in popularity prediction. In: Evolving Internet (INTERNET), 2010 Second International Conference on, 19–24, 2010Google Scholar
- 2.Lerman, K., Hogg, T.: Using a model of social dynamics to predict popularity of news. In: Proceedings of the 19th international conference on World Wide Web, 621–630, 2010Google Scholar
- 3.Lee, J.G., Moon, S., Salamatian, K.: An approach to model and predict the popularity of online contents with explanatory factors. In: Web Intelligence and Intelligent Agent Technology (WI-IAT), 2010 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on, 623–630, 2010Google Scholar
- 4.Kong, Q.C., Mao, W.J.: Predicting popularity of forum threads based on dynamic evolution. J. Softw. 25(12), 2767–2776 (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Wan, S.X., Guo, J.F., Lan, Y.Y., Cheng, X.Q.: Tweet popularity prediction based on propagation simulation. J. Chinese Info. Process. 28(3), 68–74 (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Xiong, X.B., Zhou, G., Huang, Y.Z., Ma, J.: Predicting popularity of tweets on Sina Weibo. J. Info. Eng. Univ. 13(4), 496–502 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Nie, R.L., Chen, L., Wang, Y.Q., et al.: Algorithm for prediction of new topic’s hotness using the K-nearest neighbors. Comput. Sci. 39(6A), 257–260 (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Zhang, J., Li, F.: Context-based topic evolution and topic relations extraction. J. Chinese Info. Process. 29(2), 179–189 Google Scholar
- 12.Steinbach, M., Kapypis, G., Kumar, V.: A comparison of document c1ustering techniques. Proceedings of KDD Workshop on Text Mining, 109–111, 2000Google Scholar
- 13.David, B., et al.: Latent dirichlct allocation. J. Mach. Learn. Res. 3, 993–1002 (2003)Google Scholar