INSPIRATION: Stakeholder Perspectives on Future Research Needs in Soil, Land Use, and Land Management—Towards a Strategic Research Agenda for Europe
INSPIRATION is an EC-funded Coordination and Support Action (CSA) coordinated by the German Environment Agency. The main aim of INSPIRATION is to develop a Strategic Research Agenda (SRA) to inform environmentally friendly, socially acceptable, and economically affordable soil and land-use management that meets societal needs and challenges. INSPIRATION takes a bottom-up approach because an SRA built on end-user knowledge demands is more likely to be enthusiastically adopted by funders in order to promote the knowledge creation, transfer, and implementation agenda.
establish the state-of-the-art in balancing supply and demand in resources and natural capital by land management and the way soil, sediments, and water contribute at the national and European levels;
identify and prioritize key knowledge, technology, policy and understand gaps in current activities in meeting soil and land-use-related societal needs and challenges across Europe and beyond.
develop a need-and-challenge-focused Strategic Research Agenda (SRA) that can be tackled on national and European levels;
identify relevant existing and new funding and delivery models for implementing the SRA;
bring together European public and private research funders willing to collaboratively and synergistically invest in delivering the SRA, or parts thereof, at local, regional, national, and transnational scales.
- Baveye PC, Baveye J, Gowdy J (2016) Soil “ecosystem” services and natural capital: critical appraisal of research on uncertain ground. Front Environ Sci 4. https://doi.org/10.3389/fenvs.2016.00041
- Brils J et al (2016) National reports with a review and synthesis of the collated information. Final version as of 01.03.2016 of deliverable 2.5 of the HORIZON 2020 project INSPIRATION. EC Grant agreement no: 642372, UBA, Dessau-Roßlau, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- European Commission (2014) Adaptation to climate change. Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/clima/sites/clima/files/docs/factsheet_adaptation_2014_en.pdf. Accessed 5 May 2017
- Makeschin F, Schröter-Schlaack C, Glante F, Zeyer J, Gorgon J, Ferber U, Villeneuve J, Grimski D, Bartke S (2016) INSPIRATION report concluding 2nd project phase: enriched, updated and prioritised overview of the transnational shared state-of-the-art as input to develop a Strategic Research Agenda and for a matchmaking process. Public version of the final version as of 30.10.2016 of deliverable D3.4 of the HORIZON 2020 project INSPIRATION. EC Grant agreement no: 642372, UBA, Dessau-Roßlau, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- UN (2014) Resolution adopted by the General Assembly on 20 December 2013 [on the report of the Second Committee (A/68/444)] - 68/232. World Soil Day and International Year of SoilsGoogle Scholar