An Efficient Local Search Algorithm for Minimum Weighted Vertex Cover on Massive Graphs
The minimum weighted vertex cover (MWVC) problem is a well known NP-hard problem with various real-world applications. In this paper, we design an efficient algorithm named FastWVC to solve MWVC problem in massive graphs. Two strategies are proposed. One is the ConstructWVC procedure, aiming to generate a quality initial vertex cover. The other is a new exchange step for reconstructing a vertex cover. Experiments on 102 instances were conducted to confirm the effectiveness of our algorithm. The results show that the FastWVC algorithm outperforms other algorithms in terms of both solution quality and computational time in most of the instances.
KeywordsMinimum weighted vertex cover Local search Massive graph
This work is supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China 61502464. Shaowei Cai is also supported by Youth Innovation Promotion Association, Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- 1.Bouamama, S., Blum, C., Boukerram, A.: A population-based iterated greedy algorithm for the minimum weight vertex cover problem. Appl. Soft Comput. 12, 1632–1639 (2012). Elsevier Science Publishers B. VGoogle Scholar
- 2.Cai, S.: Balance between complexity and quality: local search for minimum vertex cover in massive graphs. In: International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 747–753 (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Cai, S., Su, K., Chen, Q.: EWLS: a new local search for minimum vertex cover. In: Twenty-Fourth AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, AAAI 2010, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, July (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Katzmann, M., Komusiewicz, C.: Systematic exploration of larger local search neighborhoods for the minimum vertex cover problem (2017)Google Scholar
- 12.Ma, Z., Fan, Y., Su, K., Li, C., Sattar, A.: Random walk in large real-world graphs for finding smaller vertex cover. In: IEEE International Conference on TOOLS with Artificial Intelligence, pp. 686–690 (2016)Google Scholar
- 14.Rossi, R.A., Ahmed, N.K.: The network data repository with interactive graph analytics and visualization. In: Proceedings of the Twenty-Ninth AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (2015). http://networkrepository.com