Low-cost IoT, Big Data, and Cloud Platform for Developing Countries
- 948 Downloads
Gartner forecasts that 6.4 billion connected things will be in use worldwide in 2016, up 30% from 2015, and will reach 20.8 billion by 2020. In 2016, 5.5 million new things will get connected every day. Furthermore, the current research and marker trends shows the convergence between IoT and Big Data. On the other hand, developing countries are still far from being able to benefit from IoT infrastructures. In this paper we explain how IoT can be made available for everybody and we present WAZIUP, a project aiming at building an open innovation platform able to accelerate innovation in developing countries and rural areas. The WAZIUP IoT platform will allow the development of IoT applications coupled with Big Data capabilities. The platform is tailored to the specific requirements and constraints of developing countries. We will give an overview of the WAZIUP IoT and Big Data platform and then detail its technical aspects.
KeywordsIoT Big Data Low-cost IoT platform Cloud computing
This work has been carried out within the European project WAZIUP (H2020-ICT-687607).
- 1.Sarkar, P.J., Chanagala, S.: A survey on IoT based digital agriculture monitoring system and their impact on optimal utilization of resources. J. Electron. Commun. Eng. (IOSR-JECE) 1–4 (2016)Google Scholar
- 2.ITU: Harnessing the internet of things for global development. Technical report, ITU (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Zennaro, M., Bagula, A.: IoT for development (IoT4d). In: IoT Newsletter. 14 July 2015Google Scholar
- 4.Semtech: LoRa modulation basics. rev.2-05/2015 (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Semtech: McKeown, J.: LoRa™- a communications solution for emerging LPWAN, LPHAN and industrial sensing & IoT applications. http://cwbackoffice.co.uk/docs/jeff~20mckeown.pdf. Accessed 13 Jan 2016
- 6.Libelium: Extreme range links: LoRa 868/915mhz sx1272 LoRa module for Arduino, Raspberry PI and Intel Galileo. http://www.cooking-hacks.com/documentation/tutorials/extreme-range-lora-sx1272-module-shield-arduino-raspberry-pi-intel-galileo. Accessed 13 Jan 2016
- 7.Dlodlo, N., Kalezhi, J.: The internet of things in agriculture for sustainable rural development. In: 2015 International Conference on Emerging Trends in Networks and Computer Communications (ETNCC), pp. 13–18, May 2015Google Scholar