Being Good: Or at Least Not Bad
This chapter discusses the ways that Tyson presents themselves benignly and as part of a decent whole. Tyson presents themselves as part of a decent whole by aligning themselves with popular cultural values, and they present themselves benignly by constructing an image of a good corporate citizen/neighbor.
KeywordsNarrative Metaphor Presupposition
- Adams, Carol J. 1990. The Sexual Politics of Meat. New York: Continuum.Google Scholar
- ChartsBin. 2013. Current Worldwide Annual Meat Consumption Per Capita. http://chartsbin.com/view/bhy. Accessed 16 Feb 2014.
- Feeding America. 2014. Our Food Bank Network. http://feedingamerica.org/how-we-fight-hunger/our-food-bank-network.aspx. Accessed 14 June 2014.
- Foer, Jonathan S. 2009. Eating Animals. New York: Little Brown and Company.Google Scholar
- Food Bank for New York City. 2014. Food Sourcing and Distribution. http://www.foodbanknyc.org/our-programs/food-sourcing-and-distribution. Accessed 14 June 2014.
- Harris. 2013. Americans’ Belief in God, Miracles and Heaven Declines. http://www.harrisinteractive.com/NewsRoom/HarrisPolls/tabid/447/ctl/ReadCustom%20Default/mid/1508/ArticleId/1353/Default.aspx. Accessed 13 June 2014.
- Labov, William. 1972. Sociolinguistic Patterns. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.Google Scholar
- Smith, Philip. 2005. Why War? The Cultural Logic of Iraq, the Gulf War, and Suez. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- The New York Times. 1992. Company News; Tyson Plans to Expand into Seafood. The New York Times, June 17. http://www.nytimes.com/1992/06/17/business/company-news-tyson-plans-to-expand-into-seafood.html. Accessed 14 June 2014.
- Tyson Foods. 2013a. Core Values. http://www.tysonfoods.com/Our-Story/Core-Values.aspx. Accessed 11 Aug 2013.
- ———. 2013b. Fiscal 2013 Fact Book. http://ir.tyson.com/files/doc_downloads/Tyson%202013%20Fact%20Book.pdf. Accessed 17 Apr 2014.
- ———. 2013c. Heritage. http://www.tysonfoods.com/OurStory/Heritage.aspx. Accessed 11 Aug 2013.
- ———. 2013d. Relationships. http://www.tysonfoods.com/Our-Story/Relationships.aspx. Accessed 11 Aug 2013.
- ———. 2013e. Sustainability Report. http://www.tysonfoods.com/Ways-We-Care/Sustainability-Report.aspx. Accessed 11 Aug 2013.
- ———. 2013f. The Making of a Meal. http://www.tysonfoods.com/Our-Story/The-Making-of-a-Meal.aspx. Accessed 11 Aug 2013.