Complexity Analysis of the Parallel Memetic Algorithm for the Pickup and Delivery Problem with Time Windows
- 795 Downloads
Estimating the theoretical complexity of a parallel algorithm can give an impression on how it will perform in practice. However, this complexity analysis is very often omitted in the works from the parallel computation field. In this paper, we theoretically analyze the time complexity of our parallel algorithm for the pickup and delivery problem with time windows (PDPTW), which is an NP-hard discrete optimization task. The PDPTW is a hierarchical objective problem—the main objective is to minimize the number of trucks serving the transportation requests, whereas the second objective is to optimize the travel distance. In our approach, the fleet size is optimized using the parallel ejection search, and the distance is minimized using the parallel memetic algorithm. Finally, we report example experimental results showing that our parallel algorithms work very fast in practice.
KeywordsComplexity analysis PDPTW Parallel memetic algorithm
This research was supported by the National Science Centre under research Grant No. DEC-2013/09/N/ST6/03461, and by the Polish National Centre for Research and Development (POIR.01.02.00-00-0030/15). We thank the TASK CI centre in Gdańsk, where the computations were carried out.
- 2.Blocho, M., Nalepa, J.: Complexity Analysis of the Parallel Guided Ejection Search for the Pickup and Delivery Problem with Time Windows (2017). http://arxiv.org/abs/1704.06724
- 3.Blocho, M., Nalepa, J.: LCS-based selective route exchange crossover for the pickup and delivery problem with time windows. In: Hu, B., López-Ibáñez, M. (eds.) Evolutionary Computation in Combinatorial Optimization. LNCS, vol. 10197, pp. 124–140. Springer, Cham (2017)Google Scholar
- 4.Chami, Z.A., Manier, H., Manier, M.A.: New model for a variant of pick up and delivery problem. In: IEEE SMC 2016, Budapest, Hungary, pp. 001,708–001,713 (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Nagata, Y., Kobayashi, S.: Guided ejection search for the pickup and delivery problem with time windows. In: Cowling, P., Merz, P. (eds.) Evolutionary Computation in Combinatorial Optimization. LNCS, vol. 6022, pp. 202–213. Springer, Berlin (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Nalepa, J., Blocho, M.: A parallel algorithm with the search space partition for the pickup and delivery with time windows. In: 3PGCIC 2015, Krakow, Poland, pp. 92–99 (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Nalepa, J., Blocho, M.: Enhanced guided ejection search for the pickup and delivery problem with time windows. In: Nguyen, N.T., Trawiński, B., Fujita, H., Hong, T.P. (eds.) Intelligent Information and Database Systems. LNCS, vol. 9621, pp. 388–398. Springer, Berlin (2016)Google Scholar
- 10.Nalepa, J., Blocho, M.: A parallel memetic algorithm for the pickup and delivery problem with time windows. In: PDP 2017, St. Petersburg, Russia, pp. 1–8 (2017)Google Scholar