Towards an Integrated Strategy to Preserve Digital Computing Performance Scaling Using Emerging Technologies
With the decline and eventual end of historical rates of lithographic scaling, we arrive at a crossroad where synergistic and holistic decisions are required to preserve Moore’s law technology scaling. Numerous emerging technologies aim to extend digital electronics scaling of performance, energy efficiency, and computational power/density, ranging from devices (transistors), memories, 3D integration capabilities, specialized architectures, photonics, and others. The wide range of technology options creates the need for an integrated strategy to understand the impact of these emerging technologies on future large-scale digital systems for diverse application requirements and optimization metrics. In this paper, we argue for a comprehensive methodology that spans the different levels of abstraction – from materials, to devices, to complex digital systems and applications. Our approach integrates compact models of low-level characteristics of the emerging technologies to inform higher-level simulation models to evaluate their responsiveness to application requirements. The integrated framework can then automate the search for an optimal architecture using available emerging technologies to maximize a targeted optimization metric.
- 1.Aly, M.M.S., Gao, M., Hills, G., Lee, C.S., Pitner, G., Shulaker, M.M., Wu, T.F., Asheghi, M., Bokor, J., Franchetti, F., Goodson, K.E., Kozyrakis, C., Markov, I., Olukotun, K., Pileggi, L., Pop, E., Rabaey, J., Rè, C., Wong, H.S.P., Mitra, S.: Energy-efficient abundant-data computing: the N3XT 1,000x. Computer 48(12), 24–33 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Bachrach, J., Vo, H., Richards, B., Lee, Y., Waterman, A., Aviienis, R., Wawrzynek, J., Asanovi, K.: Chisel: constructing hardware in a scala embedded language. In: DAC Design Automation Conference 2012, pp. 1212–1221 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Cavin, R.K., Lugli, P., Zhirnov, V.V.: Science and engineering beyond Moore’s law. In: Proceedings of the IEEE 100(Special Centennial Issue), pp. 1720–1749, May 2012Google Scholar
- 6.Poremba, M., Mittal, S., Li, D., Vetter, J.S., Xie, Y.: DESTINY: a tool for modeling emerging 3d NVM and eDRAM caches. In: 2015 Design, Automation Test in Europe Conference Exhibition (DATE), pp. 1543–1546, March 2015Google Scholar
- 7.Saripalli, V., Mishra, A., Datta, S., Narayanan, V.: An energy-efficient heterogeneous CMP based on hybrid TFET-CMOS cores. In: 2011 48th ACM/EDAC/IEEE Design Automation Conference (DAC), pp. 729–734, June 2011Google Scholar