Prosumerization Approach to Semantic Ambient Intelligence Platforms
Service creation and customization are expensive tasks that require specialists. In many cases these simple services could be implemented by domain experts with no programming abilities. This research work proposes the application of a prosumer model to facilitate access to information and creation of new knowledge to domain experts without experience in the use of semantic AmI platforms. This paper presents a prosumer tool called DataQuest to gather and analyze data from an AmI platform based on ontologies using simple services. An empirical study was carried out in order to demonstrate that, based on the defined prosumer model; a domain expert can create services with acceptable quality for a given domain. The authors performed a case study where 24 people used the prosumer tool to create simple services over a prosumer infrastructure for retrieving and analyzing data from a semantic AmI platform; the aim of this study consists of analyzing the quality of the services built and studying the effort needed to build prosumer services compared with traditional development.
KeywordsProsumer End-user development Domain experts AmI platforms IoT ontologies Empirical study
The research leading to these results has received funding from FIESTA-IoT 1st Open Call and the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness through SEMOLA project (TEC2015-68284- R).
- 3.Golinelli, G.M., Barile, S., Spohrer, J., Bassano, C.: The evolving dynamics of service co-creation in a viable systems perspective. In: Toulon-Verona Conference “Excellence in Services” (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Gyrard, A., Serrano, M., Atemezing, G.A.: Semantic web methodologies, best practices and ontology engineering applied to internet of things. In: 2015 IEEE 2nd World Forum on Internet of Things (WF-IoT), pp. 412–417. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Martin, D., Alcarria, R., Robles, T., Morales, A.: A systematic approach for service prosumerization in IoT scenarios. In: 2013 Seventh International Conference on Innovative Mobile and Internet Services in Ubiquitous Computing (IMIS), pp. 494–499. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Prahalad, C.K., Ramaswamy, V.: The co-creation connection. Strategy and Business, pp. 50–61 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Soriano, J., Lizcano, D., Hierro, J.J., Reyes, M., Schroth, C., Janner, T.: Enhancing user-service interaction through a global user-centric approach to SOA. In: Fourth International Conference on Networking and Services, ICNS 2008, pp. 194–203. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar