3D Choroid Neovascularization Growth Prediction with Combined Hyperelastic Biomechanical Model and Reaction-Diffusion Model
Choroid neovascularization (CNV) usually causes varying degrees of irreversible retinal degradation, central scotoma, metamorphopsia or permanent visual lose. If early prediction can be achieved, timely clinical treatment can be applied to prevent further deterioration. In this paper, a CNV growth prediction framework based on physiological structure revealed in noninvasive optical coherence tomography (OCT) images is proposed. The method consists of three steps: pre-processing, CNV growth modeling and prediction. For growth modeling, a new combination model is proposed. The hyperelastic biomechanical model and reaction-diffusion model with treatment factor are combined through mass effect. For parameter optimization, the genetic algorithm is applied. The proposed method was tested on a data set with 6 subjects, each with 12 longitudinal 3-D images. The experimental results showed that the average TPVF, FPVF and Dice coefficient of 80.0 ± 7.62%, 23.4 ± 8.36% and 78.9 ± 7.54% could be achieved, respectively.
KeywordsCNV growth prediction Reaction-diffusion model Hyperelastic bio-mechanical model
- 4.Zhu, S., Chen, X., Shi, F., Xiang, D., Zhu, W., Chen, H.: 3D choroid neovascularization growth prediction based on reaction-diffusion model. In: Gimi, B., Krol, A. (eds.) Proceedings of SPIE 9788, Medical Imaging 2016: Biomedical Applications in Molecular, Structural, and Functional Imaging, San Diego, California, United States, vol. 9788 (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhu, S., Shi, F., Xiang, D., Zhu, W., Chen, X., Chen, H.: Choroid neovascularization growth prediction with treatment based on reaction-diffusion model in 3D OCT images. IEEE J. Biomed. Health Inf. PP(99), 2168–2194 (2017)Google Scholar
- 9.Wong, K.C.L., Summers, R.M., Kebebew, E., Yao, J.: Tumor growth prediction with hyperelastic biomechanical model, physiological data fusion, and nonlinear optimization. In: Golland, P., Hata, N., Barillot, C., Hornegger, J., Howe, R. (eds.) MICCAI 2014. LNCS, vol. 8674, pp. 25–32. Springer, Cham (2014). doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-10470-6_4 Google Scholar
- 11.Fang, Q.: ISO2Mesh: a 3D surface and volumetric mesh generator for MATLAB/octave. http://iso2mesh.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi. Accessed 16 Jan 2017
- 15.Martin, D.F., Klein, M., Haller, J.: Preclinical and phase 1A clinical evaluation of an anti-VEGF pegylated aptamer (EYE001) for the treatment of exudative age-related macular degeneration. Retina J. Retin. Vitr. Dis. 22, 143–152 (2002)Google Scholar