CNNs Enable Accurate and Fast Segmentation of Drusen in Optical Coherence Tomography
Optical coherence tomography (OCT) is used to diagnose and track progression of age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Drusen, which appear as bumps between Bruch’s membrane (BM) and the retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) layer, are among the most important biomarkers for staging AMD. In this work, we develop and compare three automated methods for Drusen segmentation based on the U-Net convolutional neural network architecture. By cross-validating on more than 50, 000 annotated images, we demonstrate that all three approaches achieve much better accuracy than a current state-of-the-art method. Highest accuracy is achieved when the CNN is trained to segment the BM and RPE, and the drusen are detected by combining shortest path finding with polynomial fitting in a post-process.
- 4.Farsiu, S., Chiu, S.J., Izatt, J.A., Toth, C.A.: Fast detection and segmentation of drusen in retinal optical coherence tomography images. In: Proceedings of SPIE, Ophthalmic Technologies XVIII, vol. 6844, p. 68440D (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Ioffe, S., Szegedy, C.: Batch normalization: accelerating deep network training by reducing internal covariate shift. arXiv preprint arXiv:1502.03167 (2015)
- 9.Jia, Y., Shelhamer, E., Donahue, J., Karayev, S., Long, J., Girshick, R., Guadarrama, S., Darrell, T.: Caffe: convolutional architecture for fast feature embedding. arXiv preprint arXiv:1408.5093 (2014)
- 10.Lee, C.S., Baughman, D.M., Lee, A.Y.: Deep learning is effective for classifying normal versus age-related macular degeneration optical coherence tomography images. Ophthalmol. Retina 1(4), 322–327 (2017)Google Scholar
- 12.Schmidt-Erfurth, U., Bogunovic, H., Klimscha, S., Hu, X., Schlegl, T., Sadeghipour, A., Gerendas, B.S., Osborne, A., Waldstein, S.M.: Machine learning to predict the individual progression of AMD from imaging biomarkers. In: Proceedings of Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, p. 3398 (2017)Google Scholar
- 15.Zheng, Y., Williams, B.M., Pratt, H., Al-Bander, B., Wu, X., Zhao, Y.: Computer aided diagnosis of age-related macular degeneration in 3D OCT images by deep learning. In: Proceedings of Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, p. 824 (2017)Google Scholar