The IoT Identification Procedure Based on the Degraded Flash Memory Sector
- 1.4k Downloads
The article presents general principles of IoT identification on the basis of the degraded bucket of NOR flash memory used in network devices for storing microprograms. We proposed the identification procedure based on the sector of forcibly degraded flash memory and considered variants of its application for identifying network devices. The proposed identification method can be used both on the basis of chips already existing in network devices and on the basis of embedded units specially designed for identification.
KeywordsInternet of things IoT Identification Information security Flash memory
The publication was financially supported by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation (the Agreement number 02.a03.21.0008).
- 2.Kirichek, R., Kulik, V., Koucheryavy, A.: False clouds for Internet of Things and methods of protection. In: IEEE 18th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology: ICACT 2016, Phoenix Park, Korea, pp. 201–205 (2016)Google Scholar
- 3.Vermesan, O., Friess, P. (eds.): Internet of Things: Converging Technologies for Smart Environments and Integrated Ecosystems. River Publishers, Aalborg (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Russell, B., Van Duren, D.: Practical Internet of Things Security. Packt Publishing, Birmingham (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Dhanjani, N.: Abusing the Internet of Things. Blackouts, Freakouts, and Stakeouts. O’Reilly Media, Sebastopol (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Hu, F. (ed.): Security and Privacy in Internet of Things (IoTs): Models, Algorithms, and Implementations. CRC Press, Boca Raton (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.Soldatos, J., Yuming, G. (eds.): Internet of Things. EU-China Joint White Paper on Internet-of-Things Identification. European Research Cluster on the Internet of Things (2014)Google Scholar
- 11.Wang, Y., et al.: Flash memory for ubiquitous hardware security functions: true random number generation and device fingerprints. In: Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, 20–25 May 2012. doi: 10.1109/SP.2012.12
- 13.Jakobsson, M., Johansson, K.-A.: Unspoofable Device Identity Using NAND Flash Memory (2010). http://www.securityweek.com/unspoofable-device-identity-using-nand-flash-memory. Accessed 1 May 2017
- 15.Tal, A.: Two Flash Technologies Compared: NOR vs NAND. 91-SR-012-04-8 L REV. 1.0. M-Systems Flash Disk Pioneers. Newark (2002)Google Scholar