Metamodern Approaches in Johnny and the Dead (1993) and Nation (2008)
Refining Pratchett’s association with postmodernism, Nurul Fateha in this chapter attempts to situate Pratchett within a metamodern context, i.e. as oscillation between a postmodern scepticism and a modern optimism for sense, meaning and direction. Analysing the interaction between the old and the new in Johnny and the Dead (1993) and Nation (2008), Nurul Fateha argues that a metamodern reading of these books foregrounds the books' relevance to the emergence of a metamodern form of a socio-historical experience in the late twentieth and twenty-first centuries.
- van den Akker, Robin. 2010, October 26. Domestic Politics in Metamodern Times. Notes on Metamodernism. http://www.metamodernism.com/2010/10/26/domestic-politics-in-metamodern-times/. Accessed 14 Sep 2014.
- Deszcz-Tryhubczak, Justyna. 2017. Feeling the Potential of Elsewhere: Terry Pratchett’s Nation in Theatre. In Shedding the Light Fantastic on Terry Pratchett’s Narrative Worlds: From Giant Turtles to Small Gods, ed. Marion Rana, xy–xy. Basingstoke and New York: Palgrave.Google Scholar
- Editors. 2012, March 26. Discussing Metamodernism. Notes on Metamodernism. http://www.metamodernism.com/2012/03/26/discussing-metamodernism-2-0/. Accessed 14 Sep 2014.
- Feßler, Nadine. 2012, May 29. To Engage in Literature. Notes on Metamodernism. http://www.metamodernism.com/2012/05/29/to-engage-in-literature/. Accessed 30 Aug 2014.
- Hertz, Noreena. 2015. Generation K: What It Means to Be a Teen. FT Magazine. April 17. https://www.ft.com/content/1642f9d2-e3ac-11e4-9a82-00144feab7de. Accessed 19 Mar 2016.
- ———. 2016. Think Millennials Have It Tough? For ‘Generation K,’ Life Is Even Harsher. The Guardian. March 19. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/19/think-millennials-have-it-tough-for-generation-k-life-is-even-harsher. Accesses 20 Mar 2016.
- Howker, Ed, and Shiv Malik. 2013. Jilted Generation: How Britain Has Bankrupted Its Youth. London: Icon Books.Google Scholar
- Lyons, Kate. 2016. Generation Y: A Guide to A Much-Maligned Demographic. The Guardian, March 7. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/07/millennials-generation-y-guide-to-much-maligned-demographic. Accessed 10 Mar 2016.
- No More Modern: Notes on Metamodernism. MadMuseum. n.d.. http://madmuseum.org/events/no-more-modern-notes-metamodernism. Accessed 23 Dec 2014.
- van Poecke, Niels. 2014, June 4. Beyond Postmodern Narcolepsy: On Metamodernism in Popular Music Culture. Notes on Metamodernism. http://www.metamodernism.com/2014/06/04/beyond-postmodern-narcolepsy/. Accessed 14 Aug 2014.
- Potter, Cher. 2012. Timotheus Vermeulen Talks to Cher Potter. TANK 55. http://tankmagazine.com/issue-55/talk/timotheus-vermeulen. Accessed 30 Aug 2014.
- Pratchett, Terry. 2002. Speech by Terry Pratchett Winner of the CILIP Carnegie Medal 2001. The CILIP Carnegie and Kate Greenaway Children’s Books Award. Accessed 11 Nov 2012.Google Scholar
- ———. 2006 . Johnny and the Dead. London: Doubleday.Google Scholar
- ———. 2008. Nation. New York: HarperCollins.Google Scholar
- Schawbel, Dan. 2013. Hannah Seligson: Understanding the Misunderstood Generation Y. Forbes. January 11. http://www.forbes.com/sites/danschawbel/2013/01/11/hannah-seligson-understanding-the-misunderstood-generation-y/#5711926753f1. Accessed 22 Mar 2016.
- ———. 2010b, July 15. What Is Metamodernism? Notes on Metamodernism. http://www.metamodernism.com/2010/07/15/what-is-metamodernism/. Accessed 5 Jan 2015.
- ———. 2015. Utopia, Sort of: A Case Study in Metamodernism. Studia Neophilologica 87: 55–67.Google Scholar
- Webster, Lucy. 2016. Young People Needn’t Feel Pessimistic. The Guardian. March 18. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/18/young-people-pessimistic-millennials. Accessed 19 Mar 2016.
- Williams, Raymond. 1977. Marxism and Literature. Oxford: Oxford UP.Google Scholar
- ———. 2001 . The Long Revolution. Hertfordshire: Boardview Press. GoogleBooks. May 3, 2016. https://books.google.com.my/books?id=VXhuFKqKtMYC&printsec=frontcover&dq=the+long+revolution&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=the%20long%20revolution&f=false