Role of the Biota in Forming the Environment
Limitations on carbon resources in the biosphere and the “waste-free technologies” of the modern biosphere —Removal of carbon from the atmosphere in previous geological epochs—The oceanic biota’s role in the carbon cycle—Soil as a reservoir of organic carbon and accumulator of moisture—Role of the biota in soil formation—Regulation of the continental water cycle by the vegetative biota—The forest biotic pump as the most important condition for life on land—Why Europe has not turned into desert.
KeywordsCarbon resources Carbon cycle Waste-free technologies of the biota Carbon removal Oceanic biotic pump Biotic soil formation Plant biota Viktor Gorshkov Anastasia Makarieva Continental water cycle Transpiration Forest biotic pump of atmospheric moisture Desertification causes
- Bolin, B. (1983). The carbon cycle. In B. Bolin & R. B. Cook (Eds.), The major biogeochemical cycles and their interactions. SCOPE 21. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Eskov, K. Y. (2000). The history of the earth and life on it (p. 352). Moscow: MIROS/MAIK. [in Russian].Google Scholar
- Gorshkov, V.G. & Makarieva, A.M. (2006). Biotic pump of atmospheric moisture as driver of the hydrological cycle on land. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 11, 1013–1033. Retrieved from http://www.bioticregulation.ru/common/pdf/hess07.pdf.Google Scholar
- Gorshkov, V. G., Gorshkov, V. V., & Makarieva, A. M. (2000). Biotic regulation of the environment: Key issues of global change. Chichester: Springer/Praxis. Also see V. G. Gorshkov’s and A. M. Makarieva’s site on questions of environmental biotic regulation at http://www.bioticregulation.ru/pump/pump.php.
- Green, N. P. O., Stout, G. W., & Taylor, D. J. (1984). In R. Soper (Ed.), Biological science (Vol. 1 and 2). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Koronovsky, N. V. (2003). General geology (p. 448). Moscow: MGU. [in Russian].Google Scholar
- Krasilov, V. A. (1992). Natural conservation: Principles, problems, priorities. Moscow: Institut okhrany prirody i zapovednogo dela. [in Russian].Google Scholar
- Lapo, A. V. (1987). Traces of former biospheres. Moscow: Znanie. [in Russian].Google Scholar
- Marfenin, N. N. (2006). Sustainable development of humanity. Moscow: MGU. [in Russian].Google Scholar
- Sorokhin, O. G., & Ushakov, C. A. (1991). Global evolution of the earth. Moscow: MGU. [in Russian].Google Scholar