On Some Approach to Integrating User Profiles in Document Retrieval System Using Bayesian Networks
Information retrieval systems are more and more popular due to the information overload in the Internet. There are many problems that can cause this situation: user can not know his real information need when he submits a few words to the browser; these words can have many different meanings; user can expect different results depending on current context. To obtain satisfactory result, the retrieval system should save user profile and develop it. In this paper we propose a method for determining user profile based on content-based and collaborative filtering. Our approach uses Bayesian Networks to develop representative profile of the users’ group. We have performed some experiments to evaluate the quality of proposed method.
KeywordsDocument retrieval Knowledge integration Ontology-based user profile Bayesian network
This research was partially supported by Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education.
- 2.Bottcher, S.G., Dethlefsen, C.: Learning Bayesian networks with R. In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Distributed Statistical Computing, DSC 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Bouckaert, R.R.: Bayesian Network Classifiers in Weka for Version 3-5-7. University of Waikato (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Giftodimos, E., Flach, P.A.: Hierarchical Bayesian networks: a probabilistic reasoning model for structured domains. In: Proceedings of the ICML-2002 Workshop on Development of Representations, pp. 23–30 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Maleszka, B.: A method for determining representative of ontology-based user profile in personalized document retrieval systems. In: Nguyen, N.T., Trawiński, B., Fujita, H., Hong, T.-P. (eds.) ACIIDS 2016. LNCS, vol. 9621, pp. 202–211. Springer, Heidelberg (2016). doi: 10.1007/978-3-662-49381-6_20CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Stern, M.K., Beck, J.E., Woolf, B.P.: Naive Bayes classifiers for user modeling. In: Proceedings of the Conference on User Modeling (1999)Google Scholar
- 16.Waikato Environment for Knowledge Analysis. Machine Learning Group at the University of Waikato. http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/ml/index.html. Accessed 10 Mar 2017
- 17.Yu, K., Schwaighofer, A., Tresp, V., Ma, W.-Y., Zhang, H.J.: Collaborative ensemble learning: combining collaborative and content-based information filtering via hierarchical Bayes. In: Proceedings of UAI 2003, pp. 616–623 (2003)Google Scholar
- 18.Schiaffino, S.N., Amandi, A.: User profiling with case-based reasoning and Bayesian networks. In: Proceedings of International Joint Conference IBERAMIA-SBIA, pp. 12–21 (2000)Google Scholar
- 19.Wong, S.K.M., Butz, C.J.: A Bayesian approach to user profiling in information retrieval. Technol. Lett. 4(1), 50–56 (2000)Google Scholar