Case of a Girl with a Positive Pregnancy Test
A diagnosis of pregnancy is fraught with overwhelming and conflicting emotions for teen girls. These young women have to consider various options such as continuing pregnancy and parenting, adoption, or termination. Healthcare providers have a significant role to play in providing nonjudgmental and inclusive counseling options for pregnant teens. Through a clinical vignette, these options will be reviewed as well as an overview of teen pregnancy statistics and complications in addition to prevention of rapid repeat pregnancy.
- 1.Guttmacher Institute. Guttmacher Institute. 2016. Retrieved 2016 from Guttmacher Institute. https://www.guttmacher.org.
- 2.Hamilton BE, Martin JA, Osterman MJ, Curtin SC, Mathews T. National vital statistics reports-reports births: final data for 2014. 2015. Retrieved 1 June 2016 from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/births.htm.
- 4.Mc Kay A. Trends in Canadian national and provincial/territorial teen pregnancy rates: 2001-2010. Can J Hum Sexuality. 2012;21:161–75.Google Scholar
- 5.Guttmacher Institute. Induced Abortion in the United States. n.d. Retrieved 06-08, 2016 from Guttmacher Institute. https://www.guttmacher.org/fact-sheet/induced-abortion-united-states.
- 8.Fleming N, O’Driscoll T, Becker G, Spitzer RF. Adolescent pregnancy guidelines. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2015;37(8):S1–S20.Google Scholar
- 10.McCarthy FP, O’Brien U, Kenny LC. The management of teenage pregnancy. BMJ. 2014;349:1–6.Google Scholar
- 20.Jones J. Who adopts? Characteristics of women and men who have adopted children. 2009. Retrieved July 9, 2016 from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db12.pdf.
- Fleming N, O’Driscoll T, Becker G, Spitzer RF. Adolescent pregnancy guidelines. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2015;37(8):S1–S20.Google Scholar
- Guttmacher Institute. https://www.guttmacher.org.Google Scholar
- The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Pregnancy choices: raising the baby, adoption, and abortion. 2013, February. Retrieved November 29, 2016, from The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists: https://www.acog.org/-/media/For-Patients/faq168.pdf? dmc=1$ts=20161129T1805434425.