Graph Approach in Image Segmentation
- 719 Downloads
In this paper we discuss about graph approach in image segmentation. In first place, some main image processing techniques are classified based upon the output these methods provide. Then, a fuzzy image segmentation definition is presented because in the literature review was found that it was not clearly defined. This definition of fuzzy image segmentation is then related to a hierarchical image segmentation procedure, so this concept is also formally defined in this work. As every output of an image processing algorithm has to be evaluated, then a method to evaluate a hierarchical segmentation output is proposed in order to later propose a method to evaluate a fuzzy image segmentation output. Computational experiences point to some advantages of the proposed hierarchical image segmentation procedure over other algorithms.
KeywordsGraph approach Hierarchical segmentation Edge detection Benchmarking Fuzzy sets
This research has been partially supported by the Government of Spain, grant TIN2015-66471-P, and by the Government of the Community of Madrid, grant S2013/ICE-2845 (CASI-CAM-CM).
- 2.Basavaprasad, B., Ravindra, H.: A survey on traditional and graph theoretical techniques for image segmentation. In: IJCA Proceedings on National Conference on Recent Advances in Information Technology, NCRAIT, vol. 1, pp. 38–46 (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Beutel, J., Kundel, H., Van Metter, R.: Handbook of Medical Imaging. Physics and Psychophysics, vol. 1. SPIE Press (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Gómez, D., Zarrazola, E., Yáñez, J., Rodríguez, J.T., Montero, J.: A new concept of fuzzy image segmentation. In: WSPC, Proceedings of the 11th International FLINS Conference on Decision Making and Soft Computing (FLINS), pp. 17–20 (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Guada, C., Gómez, D., Rodríguez, J.T., Yáñez, J., Montero, J.: A Fuzzy Edge-Based Image Segmentation Approach, pp. 1216–1222. Atlantis Press (IFSA-EUSFLAT) (2015)Google Scholar
- 14.Martin, D., Fowlkes, C., Tal, D., Malik, J.: A database of human segmented natural images and its application to evaluating segmentation algorithms and measuring ecological statistics. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Computer Vision, vol. 2, pp. 416–423 (2001)Google Scholar
- 17.Rodríguez, J.T., Guada, C., Gómez, D., Yáñez, J., Montero, J.: A methodology for hierarchical image segmentation evaluation. In: Information Processing and Management of Uncertainty in Knowledge-Based Systems. Communications in Computer and Information Science, Part I, vol. 610, pp. 635–647. Springer, Eindhoven (2016)Google Scholar
- 19.Wang, M.: Industrial Tomography. Systems and App. Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge (2015)Google Scholar