An Ethical Waiver for Learning Analytics?
The discourse and practice of data governance in learning analytics, and the ethics which inform it, are confused and contradictory. This can be elucidated by considering the coming together of two contrasting research traditions: academic research and operations research.
KeywordsLearning analytics Ethics Nuremberg Operations research
- 1.Bertolucci, J.: When Data Hoarding Makes Sense. InformationWeek (2014). http://www.informationweek.com/big-data/big-data-analytics/when-data-hoarding-makes-sense/d/d-id/1297474
- 3.British Educational Research Association: Ethical guidelines for educational research (2014). https://www.bera.ac.uk/researchers-resources/publications/ethical-guidelines-for-educational-research-2011
- 4.International Sociological Association: Code of ethics (2001). http://www.isa-sociology.org/en/about-isa/code-of-ethics/
- 6.Learning Analytics Community Exchange: Evidence hub (2017). http://evidence.laceproject.eu/
- 9.Pocock, J.W.: Operations Research’, Special Report No. 13, chap. Operations Research: Challenges to Management. American Management Association (1956)Google Scholar
- 10.Ross, T.F.: Is It Ever Okay to Make Teachers Read Scripted Lessons? The Atlantic, 10 October 2014Google Scholar
- 13.Shaw, J.: Big data is a big deal. Harvard Mag. 3, 30–35 (2014)Google Scholar
- 14.The Open University: Policy on Ethical use of Student Data for Learning Analytics (2014). http://www.open.ac.uk/students/charter/essential-documents/ethical-use-student-data-learning-analytics-policy
- 15.The Open University Human Research Ethics Committee: Ethics principles for research involving human participants. Open University (2014). http://www.open.ac.uk/research/ethics/
- 16.The Operational Research Society: Ethical guidelines for educational research (2017). https://www.theorsociety.com/Media/Documents/Users/CaraQuinton01011978/OriginalDocument/24_06_2011-13_13_17.pdf
- 17.U.S. Government: Trials of War Criminals before the Nuremberg Military Tribunals under Control Council, law No. 10, vol. 2 (1949)Google Scholar
- 18.U.S. Government: Federal policy for the protection of human subjects. Federal Register, 01/19/2017 (2017)Google Scholar
- 19.West, D.: Learning analytics: Assisting universities with student retention, final report. Australian Government Office for Learning and Teaching (2015)Google Scholar