A Tool for Developing Design-Based Learning Activities for Primary School Teachers
The paper describes the iterative design process of a tool to support primary school teachers in creating Design-Based Learning (DBL) activities. DBL is a promising approach for teaching 21st Century skills. In developing DBL activities teachers face challenges such as determining the right level of openness of the challenge and mapping appropriate learning goals to activities. The DBL tool is being developed in collaboration with three primary schools. The process has led to user requirements for such a tool, and an understanding of how to map curriculum/learning design decisions on a design process.
KeywordsDesign-based learning Learning design Teachers Properties of design-based learning
The work is financed by the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO), project number 405-16-5010. Thanks to the PlatOOlab schools, and Eduventure for their input to the project.
- 2.Thijs, A., Fisser, P., van der Hoeven, M.: Digital Literacy and 21st century skills in primary education: a conceptual framework (in Dutch), Enschede (2014). Accessed http://www.slo.nl/nieuws/dig-gelett/
- 3.van Cuijk, L., van Keulen, H., Jochems, W.: Are primary school teachers ready for inquiry and design based technology education? In: Proceedings of the PATT-22 Conference, pp. 108–121 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Sharples, M., de Roock, R., Ferguson, R., Gaved, M., Herodotou, C., Koh, E., Weller, M.: Innovating Pedagogy 2016: Open University Innovation Report 5 (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Bocconi, S., Kampylis, P.G., Punie, Y.: Innovating learning: key elements for developing creative classrooms in Europe. Joint Research Centre–Institute for Prospective Technological Studies. EC. Publications Office of the EU, Luxembourg (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.van den Akker, J.: Curriculum perspectives: an introduction. In: Curriculum Landscapes and Trends, pp. 1–10. Springer, Dordrecht (2004). doi: 10.1007/978-94-017-1205-7_1
- 7.Gómez Puente, S.M., van Eijck, M.W., Jochems, W.M.G.: Empirical validation of characteristics of design-based learning in higher education. Int. J. Eng. Educ. 29(2), 491–503 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Van den Akker, J., Gravemeijer, K., McKenney, S., Nieveen, N.: Educational design research. Routledge, London (2006)Google Scholar