Comparsion of Feature Extraction Methods for Finding Similar Images
- 1k Downloads
In this paper, we compare four methods of feature extraction for finding similar images. We created our own dataset which consists of 34500 colour images of various types of footwear and other accessories. We describe the methods that we experimented with and present results achieved with all of them. We presented the results to 23 people who then rated the performance of these methods. The best–rated method is selected for further research.
KeywordsImage similarity Feature extraction Local binary patterns Colour histogram Histogram of oriented gradients Convolution neural network
This publication was supported by the project No. LO1506 of the Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports, and by grant of the University of West Bohemia, project No. SGS-2016-039.
Computational resources were supplied by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports of the Czech Republic under the Projects CESNET (Project No. LM2015042) and CERIT-Scientific Cloud (Project No. LM2015085) provided within the program Projects of Large Research, Development and Innovations Infrastructures.
- 1.Dalal, N., Triggs, B.: Histograms of oriented gradients for human detection. In: 2005 IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR 2005), vol. 1, pp. 886–893, June 2005Google Scholar
- 3.Krizhevsky, A., Sutskever, I., Hinton, G.E.: Imagenet classification with deep convolutional neural networks. In: Pereira, F., Burges, C.J.C., Bottou, L., Weinberger, K.Q. (eds.) Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 25, pp. 1097–1105. Curran Associates, Inc., Red Hook (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.McConnell, R.: Method of and apparatus for pattern recognition, 28 January 1986. US Patent 4,567,610Google Scholar
- 5.Muja, M., Lowe, D.G.: Fast approximate nearest neighbors with automatic algorithm configuration. In: International Conference on Computer Vision Theory and Application VISSAPP 2009, pp. 331–340. INSTICC Press (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Muramatsu, C., Takahashi, T., Morita, T., Endo, T., Fujita, H.: Similar image retrieval of breast masses on ultrasonography using subjective data and multidimensional scaling. In: Tingberg, A., Lång, K., Timberg, P. (eds.) IWDM 2016. LNCS, vol. 9699, pp. 43–50. Springer, Cham (2016). doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-41546-8_6 Google Scholar