Global Offshore Wind Market
The global market for offshore wind power has rapidly evolved over the past decade. Once considered to be a purely European development, the offshore wind industry is now expanding into virtually all corners of the globe. Far East Asia, North and South America, the Indian subcontinent, and Oceania, among others, are all making strides towards developing this resource in their waters. This chapter discusses the latest development in the global market. It also explores the potential for growth in not only the aforementioned geographic areas, but also other, yet unexplored, opportunities.
KeywordsOffshore wind market structure Offshore wind global capacity Offshore wind expansion European offshore wind market North American offshore wind market East Asian offshore wind market
- Bloomberg New Energy Finance. (2017) New Energy Outlook 2017. https://about.bnef.com/new-energy-outlook/. Accessed 18 June 2017.
- Boston Consulting Group. (2013). EU 2020 Offshore Wind Targets: The €110 Billion Financing Challenge. www.bcg.de/documents/file128841.pdf
- BP. (2016). BP Statistical Review of World Energy June 2016. http://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/pdf/energy-economics/statistical-review-2016/bp-statistical-review-of-world-energy-2016-full-report.pdf
- Catapult Offshore Renewable Energy. (2017). Cost Reduction Monitoring Framework 2016. Summary Report to the Offshore Wind Programme Board. Retrieved from https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/media.ore.catapult/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/24082709/CRMF-2016-Summary-Report-Print-Version.pdf
- EWEA. (2015, January). The European Offshore Wind Industry—Key Trends and Statistics for 2014. European Wind Energy Association. www.ewea.org/fileadmin/files/library/publications/statistics/EWEA-European-Offshore-Statistics-2014.pdf. Accessed 21 June.
- GWEC. (2014). Global Wind Annual Market Update. Global Wind Energy Council. www.gwec.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/GWEC_Global_Wind_2014_Report_LR.pdf
- GWEC. (2015). Global Offshore, Global Wind Energy Council. www.gwec.net/global-figures/global-offshore/. Accessed 20 June.
- GWEC. (2016). Global Wind Report Annual Market Update 2015. http://www.gwec.net/wp-content/uploads/vip/GWEC-Global-Wind-2015-Report_April-2016_22_04.pdf. Accessed 4 June 2017.
- GWEC. (2017). Global Wind Report Annual Market Update 2016. http://files.gwec.net/files/GWR2016.pdf. Accessed 4 June 2017.
- Krupa, J., & Poudineh, R. (2017). Financing Renewable Electricity in the Resource-Rich Countries of the Middle East and North Africa: A Review EL 22. Oxford Institute for Energy Studies. https://www.oxfordenergy.org/publications/financing-renewable-electricity-middle-east-north-africa-review/
- Lazard. (2014). Lazard’s Levelized Cost of Energy Analysis—Version 8.0. www.lazard.com/PDF/Levelized%20Cost%20of%20Energy%20-%20Version%208.0.pdf
- Lazard. (2016). Lazard’s Levelized Cost of Energy Analysis—Version 10.0. https://www.lazard.com/media/438038/levelized-cost-of-energy-v100.pdf
- ORE Catapult. (2015, 26 February). Cost of Offshore Wind Energy Falls Sharply. https://ore.catapult.org.uk; https://ore.catapult.org.uk/-/cost-of-offshore-wind-energy-falls-sharply-industry-ahead-of-schedule-on-cost-reduction-but-warns-of-challenges-ahead. Accessed 17 June.
- REN21. (2017). Renewables 2017 Global Status Report. Renewable Energy Policy Network for the 21st Century. http://www.ren21.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/170607_GSR_2017_Full_Report.pdf
- ShrutiShukla, P. F. (2014, December). Offshore Wind Policy and Market Assessment: A Global Outlook. FOWIND, Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC). www.gwec.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/FOWIND_offshore_wind_policy_and_market_assessment_15-02-02_LowRes.pdf
- WindEurope. (2017, January ). The European Offshore Wind Industry Key Trends and Statistics 2016. https://windeurope.org/wp-content/uploads/files/about-wind/statistics/WindEurope-Annual-Offshore-Statistics-2016.pdf. Accessed 4 June 2017.