Background: Role of the Offshore Wind Industry
The offshore wind industry has evolved both as an extension of and as an alternative to land-based wind farms in countries hindered by land scarcity or constrained by public concerns. The social and political role that offshore wind plays is similar to that of land-based wind and other renewable energy technologies, namely, that offshore wind farms bolster energy security, support greenhouse gas emission reductions and renewable energy targets, and create opportunities for new industries and jobs. However, the unique attributes of offshore wind farms, such as the greater wind energy resources they are able to capture offshore and their proximity to major coastal demand centres, have also helped to carve out a unique political, economic, and public role for the offshore wind industry.
KeywordsRenewable energy targets Kyoto Protocol European energy package Paris Agreement Role of offshore wind
- European Commission. (2017). National Action Plans. Available online at https://ec.europa.eu/energy/en/topics/renewable-energy/national-action-plans. Accessed 5 Oct 2017.
- EWEA. (2015). The European Offshore Wind Industry—Key Trends and Statistics 2015. European Wind Energy Association, February 2016. https://www.ewea.org/fileadmin/files/library/publications/statistics/EWEA-European-Offshore-Statistics-2015.pdf
- Kaldellis, J. K., & Kapsali, M. (2013). Shifting Towards Offshore Wind Energy—Recent Activity and Future Development. Energy Policy, 53, 136–148.Google Scholar
- Nikolaos, N. (2004). Deep Water Offshore Wind Technologies. MA thesis University of Strathclyde. Retrieved from. http://www.esru.strath.ac.uk/Documents/MSc_2004/nikolaos.pdf
- Rivkin, D. A., Randall, M., & Silk, L. (2014). Wind Power Generation and Distribution. USA: Jones and Bartlett Learning.Google Scholar
- Shahan, Z. (2014, November 21). History of Wind Turbines. Renewable Energy World. http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/ugc/articles/2014/11/history-of-wind-turbines.html. Accessed 28 Apr 2017.
- Shukla, S., Reynolds, P., & Felicity Jones, F. (2015). Offshore Wind Policy Drivers in Europe and China. Indian Wind Power. Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC). Retrieved from http://www.gwec.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Indian_Wind_Power-April-May_2015.pdf
- Stenkjaer, N. (2009, July). Poul la Cour—The Danish Wind Turbine Pioneer. Nordic Folkecenter. Retrieved from http://www.folkecenter.net/gb/rd/wind-energy/48007/poullacour/
- Swift-Hook, D. T. (2012). History of Wind Power. In A. Sayigh (Ed.), Comprehensive Renewable Energy (1st ed., Vol. 2, pp. 41–72). Amsterdam: Elsevier, ISBN: 9780080878737.Google Scholar