How Does Nostalgia Affect Donor Giving Behavior?
The purpose of this paper is to present a comprehensive review of the effects of nostalgia on donor giving behavior and conceptually add to an existing model of charitable giving. This paper adds two antecedents to two different types of nostalgia: significant emotional memories influence personal nostalgia and myth formation influences vicarious nostalgia. A previous conceptual model that depicted personal nostalgia’s effect on donor charitable intentions was extended to include empathy, existential guilt, and donor loyalty. Propositions are offered throughout the paper, a theoretical model on donor giving behavior is extended, and suggestions are offered for future research.
KeywordsNostalgia Personal nostalgia Vicarious nostalgia Charitable giving Nonprofits Empathy Guilt Donor loyalty
- Baker, S. M., & Kennedy, P. F. (1994). Death by nostalgia: A diagnosis of context-specific cases. Advances in Consumer Research, 21(1), 169–174.Google Scholar
- Cordaro, F. (2011). The relationship between nostalgia, social exclusion, and empathy (Doctoral dissertation). University of Southampton, Southampton, UK.Google Scholar
- Goulding, C. (2002). An exploratory study of age related vicarious nostalgia and aesthetic consumption. Advances in Consumer Research, 29(1), 542–546.Google Scholar
- Holak, S. L., & Havlena, W. J. (1992). Nostalgia: An exploratory study of themes and emotions in the nostalgic experience. Advances in Consumer Research, 19(1), 380–387.Google Scholar
- Sohn, L. (1983). Nostalgia. The International Journal of Psychoanalysis, 64, 203.Google Scholar